Fowl Pox and Broiler chicks...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by EggsForIHOP, Oct 18, 2011.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    okay ya'll - I asked in the diseases section - and JUST BECAUSE I know not everyone there processes their own stuff, I thought I would ask here...

DOES ANYONE or HAS ANYONE vaccinated their broiler chicks for fowl pox? We clearly now upon inspection this morning have 2 out of 5 of our "replacement layers" showing signs of fowl pox - gotta be...with the little rains we did get, all the wild birds, and being on top of a river - oh yeah, the skeeters musta brought me fowl pox...I just know. So it would seem that vaccinating around here will be a constant.

ANY thoughts etc as this applies to the meaty birds are appreciated! I have no qualms about doing the teen aged laying type birds - but in regards to the broilers I still worry a litte - I am off now to secure the home front and head out to the feed store - which is quite a drive - but it beats the heck outta shipping based on the fact I am headed that way anyways...might as well make the rounds today.

Thanks for any bright ideas, etc...I gotta do the layers regardless...so off I go...

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We had some turkeys get fowl pox but our broilers never got it. The turkeys weren't in the same pen at the time, but they were in the same field. Are your broilers kept in the same pen as the layers? If not, perhaps they won't get it...?

3. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    No, I am going to keep them separate - but with the way the lgds run the place and are always sniffing up on everything then moving on to something else - they'd likely track virus from one pen to the next.

Incidently - the vet came out today - which I COMPLETELY forgot about! We scheduled this ages ago and when she called to say she was on the way I threw it together in a hurry. $352, 3 coggins, 8 cae, and 7 rabies shots later her advice on the chickens was free [​IMG] She looked and said - "I'd put money on fowl pox too - just vaccinate everything from now on and you'll be okay" I said even broilers? and she said "Yes, do it after they have acclimated for a few days and you'll be okay - don't risk it, it's out here in your area - very common"

So I guess per a well known vet that's that. She is awesome with everything else, gonna go with what she said on the birds. I can't believe I forgot about today though...and no...the chicks didn't come yet, must be tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by