Fowl pox and ear infection - 8 month old pullet

chknlittle17

Chirping
May 10, 2020
I have an 8 month old salmon favorelle pullet who hasn't been feeling well since maybe yesterday. I looked her over on Sunday and she was fine, but had little waxy looking stuff by her one ear.

Today, her whole ear area is swollen and her eye is gross. The stuff around the eye does not look related to the ear condition. It looks like fowl pox. I have 8 other pullets with it, half my flock. She has other fowl pox sores on her comb and legs.

I saw a post for treatment of the ear infection and there are plenty of posts about managing symptoms of fowl pox. Is there anything else I can be doing? Right now she's in a dark room with food and water. Water has been treated with rooster booster. My husband is helping me clean up her ear when he gets home. I only plan to separate her until she perks up, so hopefully only a day.

I have an 8 month old salmon favorelle pullet who hasn't been feeling well since maybe yesterday. I looked her over on Sunday and she was fine, but had little waxy looking stuff by her one ear.

Today, her whole ear area is swollen and her eye is gross. The stuff around the eye does not look related to the ear condition. It looks like fowl pox. I have 8 other pullets with it, half my flock. She has other fowl pox sores on her comb and legs.

I saw a post for treatment of the ear infection and there are plenty of posts about managing symptoms of fowl pox. Is there anything else I can be doing? Right now she's in a dark room with food and water. Water has been treated with rooster booster. My husband is helping me clean up her ear when he gets home. I only plan to separate her until she perks up, so hopefully only a day.
Can you post some photos?

How are you planning on cleaning the ear?
The ear infection and Fowl Pox could be related. If you think that the swelling around the eye is from Fowl Pox, look inside her beak too - any lesions, yellow/white pasty material or a bad odor?

Is there a reason why you have the room dark? I would make it light during waking hours.

Back
Top Bottom