Fowl Pox and State/Couny Fairs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by crystal1957, Oct 30, 2010.

1. crystal1957

crystal1957 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    Do the NPIP reps at the County and State Fairs where chickens are shown test for fox pox? Or does the blood work just test for salmonella? Also, if someone brings a rooster that has a tiny scab from a fight with another rooster, how do they prove it is not fowl pox if the NPIP blood work doesn't test for fowl pox? Would it be their word against the owner of the bird? If they thought the scab was suspicious...

2. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    No. NPIP is highly overrated and people put way too much into what it means. The only thing tested for in NPIP is Pullorum and Avian Flu.

My NPIP rep said there had been no avian flu cases in Alabama, and he had not encountered Pullorum in any backyard flock.

Fowl pox is carried by mosquitos from bird to bird and not really a threat at a county fair or show. Of course, ALL the other chicken diseases & parasites are NOT tested by NPIP nor at the fairs & many of them are the common and more widespread (and there are too many to name but some are Marek's Disease; Newcastle Disease; Infectious Laryngotracheitis: Avian Mycoplasmosis; Aspergillosis; Avian Mycobacteriosis; Staph Infection; Colibacillosis; Infectious Coryza; Ascites as well as all the parasites: cocci; mites {Northern Fowl Mite & Scaly Leg}; lice; many worms NONE of this is tested in NPIP).

If I get eggs or birds from somebody, I don't care if NPIP or not -- I am concerned about all the other stuff. Just another reason to isolate sick birds or quarantine new arrivals for awhile.

3. crystal1957

crystal1957 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Tallahassee
    wow--thanks for such wonderful info. Actually,I have a healthy roo I have registered in this week's county fair where I live, but the other day he got into a small and short fight with his son. Has a few black scabs on his comb. didn't want to get into it with the NPIP reps whining about it looking like fowl pox.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by