Fowl pox -baby chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AshleyTX, Sep 17, 2016.

1. AshleyTX

AshleyTX Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    Dallas, Texas
    Hello chook-lovers! I have 30 chicken on 5 acres and discovered yesterday that I have fowl pox. :(

While this has to run its course and I'm providing supportive care, the problem I have is the 40 chicks I have indoor in my make-shift emergency brooder. I'd like to vaccinate them before placing them in my outdoor "chick bay" if possible. Chick bay is inside the coop, but only separated by hardware cloth. Unfortunately, they could still be exposed this way. However, I'll need to move them there in 2-3 weeks because of their ever-growing size.

Can anyone direct me to where I can find the fowl pox vaccine for baby chicks? I have been able to find the eight week old vaccine, but not the day-old. Can anyone provide advice on this?

Thanks,
    Ashley

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Zoetis makes one for day old chicks, but you would need to contact them for info on where to buy it. The chicks would later need to be revaccinated with Poxine when they are older. Google "fowl pox vaccine" to get a link for Zoetisus.

3. AshleyTX

AshleyTX Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    Dallas, Texas
    Thank you so much! I have the company name now, and found out the name of the vaccine. I can't find where "Chick-N-Pox TC" is available online, but I'll reach out to them first thing in the morning. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by