Fowl pox blindness? Please share your stories; is there a possibility of a positive outcome??

nutcracker_fantasy

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2020
I have a 3 yr old hand reared bantam frizzle with pox very bad case within 3days head skin area has swelled immensely overnight eyes she cannot see; I have purchased Avicline which a friend who houses many chooks and dealt with pox recommended and it was the only product I could purchase in stock imediately. i had another Chook. With pox nowhere near as bad as this and went away in its own.
this Chook has a severe case. She is happy to be hand fed the Avicline mixed with water via a straw with a scoop on the end.
Eating regular food not willing; will eat mashed milk biscuits via straw sparingly... not much eating. More happy for the water hand fed.
I understand the pox will just go away; and greatful when it does! But what happens with her eyes completely covered
Does anyone have a success story? Or Recommendations; what if eye gets infected!? What would I purchase to remedy? Please assist; as my vet has no idea it the product Avicline and Triple C which are available at pet stores.
mice been told there is no remedy or cure; so what is a vet appointment going to help with? I’ve also heard of vets insisting on in necessary products and return visits; so let’s be clear I don’t want to be taken for a ride. I appreciate any insight please.
she is housed separate from Her buddies.
Non pox photo with her buddy
Thankyou

Attachments

• 8778AAE8-8563-4171-B29F-EE00AE962E51.jpeg
    8778AAE8-8563-4171-B29F-EE00AE962E51.jpeg
    841.8 KB · Views: 5
  • D489B800-4B61-468F-ACD7-0FB5E21E43AE.jpeg
    D489B800-4B61-468F-ACD7-0FB5E21E43AE.jpeg
    744.6 KB · Views: 2
  • A0DE91A2-A4BC-4691-A0DD-43B26BB2CFAE.jpeg
    A0DE91A2-A4BC-4691-A0DD-43B26BB2CFAE.jpeg
    700.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 6939A8E9-FF80-4227-86B1-D587FC6CB755.jpeg
    6939A8E9-FF80-4227-86B1-D587FC6CB755.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 388DE1ED-5C9B-4170-A45C-470EBFDD7DBA.jpeg
    388DE1ED-5C9B-4170-A45C-470EBFDD7DBA.jpeg
    841.8 KB · Views: 1
Dry or wet fowl pox? That could be a huge difference/help. I’m very sorry about her, hope she pulls through! We had a BCM rooster come down with that and he almost lost his eye. I put antibacterial ointment on the lumps everyday to keep them moist and not make a harp, uncomfortable dry mass on his head. They eventually fell off and he didn’t even have scars!That’s what helped in my case at least. He had dry fowl pox. Best of luck!😁

Dry or wet fowl pox? That could be a huge difference/help. I’m very sorry about her, hope she pulls through! We had a BCM rooster come down with that and he almost lost his eye. I put antibacterial ointment on the lumps everyday to keep them moist and not make a harp, uncomfortable dry mass on his head. They eventually fell off and he didn’t even have scars!That’s what helped in my case at least. He had dry fowl pox. Best of luck!😁
Hello thanks for replying
Dry pox at this stage,
What was the antibacterial ointment called?
Thanks Amanda

Sorry about your chicken with fowl pox. I don’t see too bad a case in the picture. Do not disturb the scabs, since that can spread the virus. If there are scabs around the eyes, then apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Ciprofloxacin eye drops should also be available from a vet if you cannot get Neosporin. Fowl pox is a virus carried by mosquitoes, and antibiotics will not help. But when the eyes are affected, there can be secondary bacterial infections. Saline eye wash can also be used to clean any eye drainage. Usually dry pox is short-lived and clears up in 3 weeks. Offer a mash of a lot of water with a small amount of chicken feed, and a little cooked egg or yogurt can be added. Tuna, salmon, and canned catfood may be used to tempt her to eat. Tube feeding might be something you might want to learn if she won’t eat. Look inside her beak and throat for any yellow material that could be wet fowl pox.

Sorry about your chicken with fowl pox. I don’t see too bad a case in the picture. Do not disturb the scabs, since that can spread the virus. If there are scabs around the eyes, then apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment. Ciprofloxacin eye drops should also be available from a vet if you cannot get Neosporin. Fowl pox is a virus carried by mosquitoes, and antibiotics will not help. But when the eyes are affected, there can be secondary bacterial infections. Saline eye wash can also be used to clean any eye drainage. Usually dry pox is short-lived and clears up in 3 weeks. Offer a mash of a lot of water with a small amount of chicken feed, and a little cooked egg or yogurt can be added. Tuna, salmon, and canned catfood may be used to tempt her to eat. Tube feeding might be something you might want to learn if she won’t eat. Look inside her beak and throat for any yellow material that could be wet fowl pox.
The photo is not current it’s pre pox stage

Back
Top Bottom