Fowl pox, broilers on the way and the current flock...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EggsForIHOP, Oct 17, 2011.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    It's just that simple folks. I have 25 broiler chicks leaving Welp hatchery for TX on Wednesday...I have 5 teen age layers growing outside...and 2 are FOR SURE showing signs of fowl pox which of course I just really noticed today. But that's gotta be it. So, what do I do?

It sounds as though once it's here, it's here - and here is Texas (USUALLY wet hot and muggy, but mostly just hot and muggy this year). I'm not gonna be able to control the mosquitos - sure, I can spray, but they laugh. Especially since we are now just miles from a major river and it's tributaries - and skeeters seem to be a major assistance in spreading it from what I am reading. So someone, tell me...what do you do?

Do I order/find if lucky the vaccine? Go ahead and vaccinate ALL birds FOREVER I plan on having? (I know, I'm gonna have to use a new bottle of this stuff everytime - and the manufacturers directions were a little scary "Burn what remains" - makes it sound like ebola virus in there!)

And what do I do in regards to the broiler chicks? Should I vaccinate upon arrival? Allow a day or two to get them adjusted? Vaccinate later on day of arrival? Or just not bother at all as they will be in freezer camp so fast it shouldn't be an issue?

I already order/do here most vaccines as is - rabies is the only the vet comes out for yearly for the horses and dogs...but I've never done a chicken...besides the 2 crummy videos on you tube in in foreign languages - are there any good links with pics for this? I need reference material with photos if at all possible.

Am I making the right decision to vaccinate from here on out and just let the currently sick birds ride the course of it with palliative care if needed? Right now they are still eating, drinking, etc and in all honesty...it's just 5 birds right now...until after Wednesday...the broilers are what worries me...I don't want to get to 6 weeks with them and then a break out and I won't eat them until it clears up...

Any thoughts, etc from ya'll are welcomed and appreciated - and if the answer is cull I understand that too - but it just seems like riding it out at this point and from here on out vaccinating is going to be key...just don't know what to do exactly past that! Thanks again so very much!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I had to vaccinate this year. I would really consider vaccinating the chicks, since it seemed that, at least in my case, the chicks were more susceptable to it. I use the Chick-n-pox vaccine, or its called something like that. The milder of the two.

4. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Thank you - I am probably going to check again in the meaty section - just because since we will after all be eating these guys - but I found a place I can pick up the vaccine from I think, so I am going to call and head out that way - better safe than sorry watching a bunch of broilers grow just big enough and then develop the pox you know? Thanks again so very much ya'll!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by