fowl pox-can one butcher a roo that is infected

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by All-American-Chick, Oct 7, 2011.

1. All-American-Chick

All-American-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Ramona
    My Coop
    the title says it all.
    these chickens are not on an antibiotic so wondering if they can be butchered

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I personally would not. But that isn't scientific, just a feeling.

3. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    fowl pox is just another form of chicken pox in humans, personally i would not like to eat something that could spread to others. better to cull and move on.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yes, they can be butchered and eaten. The fowl pox is aesthetically displeasing, but in no way dangerous to humans. Good luck.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Eggs are safe to eat as well if your layers are infected.

6. All-American-Chick

All-American-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Ramona
    My Coop
    These birds are not yet layers.Im doing a breeding program with them and keep 4 roos but was waiting to see who turns out best between them.Since the pox break out in that pen I was thinking of just taking 2 out now since they where headed to the pot at some point anyways.
    nothing ive read has told me one way or the other about butchering them.but have read that humans can not catch this disease and it is not the chicken pox in humans.

so guess ill wait on them.they are almost healed anyways and we can move on in a few weeks and be all the smarter on the disease.alot of info on it just not what i was searching for

thank you who have answered

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by