Fowl Pox? Curious-to vaccine or not?

Nicole Lauren

Hatching
May 20, 2020
I’m a new chicken mama since this April and I’m really loving it. Just posting pictures for added attention :) My flock includes five 4mth old Buff Brahma Bantams and a mix of 2.5 month old standards (4 Barred Rocks,1 Red Sex Link, and 2 Leghorns). We live in North Texas. Anyway my questions is about do y’all recommend giving the vaccine for fowl pox? On the Texas Backyard Chicken FaceBook page I see ALOT of post about chicken owner dealing with Fowl Pox. This is something I’d like to avoid this if possible. I’m just curious to have some input from veteran chicken owners.

Attachments

• 70609061-2163-488B-9BD7-B99523E3AF54.jpeg
    70609061-2163-488B-9BD7-B99523E3AF54.jpeg
    710.1 KB · Views: 3
Welcome!
At least here, the state veterinary poultry expert recommended only using this product in the face of an actual outbreak, in your flock, or one nearby. He didn't think it should be part of normal practice.
Most 'backyard' folks only have chicks vaccinated against Marek's disease, nothing else. Big commercial facilities do much more, and people who take chickens to shows often do more. Many small flock owners don't have any vaccinations done for their chickens, and it works out fine.
Mary

Welcome!
At least here, the state veterinary poultry expert recommended only using this product in the face of an actual outbreak, in your flock, or one nearby. He didn't think it should be part of normal practice.
Most 'backyard' folks only have chicks vaccinated against Marek's disease, nothing else. Big commercial facilities do much more, and people who take chickens to shows often do more. Many small flock owners don't have any vaccinations done for their chickens, and it works out fine.
Mary
Thank you!! Now I know, and won’t worry about it til it’s something to worry about!! 😊

It's about biosecurity, and risk assement. Having your flock isolated from any others, never bringing in 'random source' birds, as from another flock or swap meet, and keeping barn shoes and boots strictly at home.
Here we have no near neighbors with chickens from 'where ever', and either raise our own, or buy chicks from good hatcheries. It's about good luck, and good management.
Mary

Last edited:
Thank you!! Now I know, and won’t worry about it til it’s something to worry about!! 😊
l
It's about biosecurity, and risk assement. Having your flock isolated from any others, never bringing in 'random source' birds, as from another flock or swap meet, and keeping barn shoes and boots strictly at home.
Here we have no near neighbors with chickens from 'where ever', and either raise our own, or buy chicks from good hatcheries. I't about good luck, and good management.
Mary
Ok 👌🏼 that makes me worry about it A bit less. I’ve only bought chicks from reputable hatcheries and we live on 25 acres with no near by neighbor chickens.

Back
Top Bottom