Fowl Pox Fright

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BrahmaCole, Aug 6, 2013.

1. BrahmaCole

BrahmaCole Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    USA
    I'm a bit upset. Pretty sure our flock has fowl pox. Three have spots on their combs and I think their legs, too. I'm thinking they got it from mosquitoes. We've had a ton of rain lately and have had a lot of water standing in the yard. My two Brahmas seem okay so far, but a matter of time, I guess. Any comforting thoughts???

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, one comforting thought is that fowl pox runs its course in three weeks, and doesn't usually cause high mortality (unless it is the wet form, in which case it is more serious).

Mosquitoes are one of the most common carriers of fowl pox, along with flies. All of the books that I've read say to treat the area where the birds live for flies and mosquitoes. This will cut down on the number of birds infected. If only a couple birds are infected, it can be a good idea to separate them, as this may prevent the spread of the disease.

Fowl pox isn't usually dangerous, but it can cause secondary infection. I'd treat with a broad-spectrum antibiotic, such as Oxytetracyline, to prevent such an occurrence.

Scabs and blisters may accumulate so much on the face that the birds can not see to eat and drink. If this occurs, put petroleum jelly on the scabs. This will soften them, and you will be able to pull them off so that the bird can see to eat and drink. Apparently, adding sulphur to the petroleum jelly helps, as it deters insects.

Good luck with your birds! I hope that they all survive the disease.

3. BrahmaCole

Jul 29, 2013
    USA
    Thank you for the reassurance and advice. It's greatly appreciated.

4. BrahmaCole

Jul 29, 2013
    USA
    I assume once a chicken has gotten fowl pox it is immune to it the rest of its life.?.? If so, could it still catch the more serious strand?

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, chickens that recover from Fowl pox are immune, though they can be carriers, and may be infected during stressful times like molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by