fowl pox??? help Identify **Pics

Crest Acres Girl

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Southern California
1. 6 months
2. Roo Has gargle sound coming out of its throat and was sneezing ( it stopped sneezing and gargle sound is lessening) I gave it apple cider water. It has some boogers, it was more boogery when I first got him.
3. No sign of trauma
4. Bought these birds from someone , rooster had signs of sneezing when purchased. One of the hens had bubbly eyes which is gone now.
5. Eating and drinking well
6. Poo looks normal
7. Treatment is apple cider vinegar and slices of garlic in water.
8. Vet told me he it would cost 80 dollars for checkup, medicine is extra ( cant afford it)
9. Have picture will post below
10. Bedding is straw dusted with DE.

Note* they had mites when I got them but I treated them and they are mite free now.

This is the rooster..theres a dot on the head right above the eye..I'm wondering if this is fowl pox

IMG_2398.jpg

this is the other side of his face...dot under his eye

IMG_2399.jpg

Pic of his boogers inside his nose

IMG_2403.jpg

This is the hen, Its on the very last part of her comb...shes the one who had bubbly eyes.

IMG_2404.jpg

Any suggestion would be nice
smile.png
Thanks everyone

Howdy.
Looks like it to me, but I am new to the whole thing too. Our birds have the same looking lumps and some even a crusty hard nodule on the nostril...which is how I found this site yesterday
smile.png
...instant addict.

There is a LOT of info in the forums and pictures in the FAQ area and the first few links on this one...

Ours took a couple days to really look like the pictures.

We noticed the hard lumps on the nostril only because a girl was sneezing...and after we took it off, she stopped. We haven't noticed anybody with snotty nose, just the bumps.

There are a lot of real knowledgeable folks on here...someone will be able to help more than me.

good luck
smile.png

OOHHH yes, my avitar is one of our girls who has the nostril lump, hard to see, but she also has a few lumps on her comb...looks similar??

Last edited:
and also, welcome...

My name is Kim, and I am an addict to BYC
smile.png

The only thing I have found, so far, as far as it being threatening, is if it is "wet" pox, which covers the larnex and throat, wet areas...it didn't say it would kill them, just makes it harder for them to eat.

There is a great link in the "Learning Center" - go to diseases and there is a link with pics from there.

good luck, and no worries, if there is anything that can help, someone on here will know
smile.png

about a quarter of my birds got congested but got over it in a few days with no treatment, and that inludes several breeds of birds. The only birds I had that didn't catch the pox for some reason was my silkies and silkie crosses. don't know why.

Quote:
That is good to know, I have silkie/cochins & when I accquired some ISA layers, they came with the pox. They are quarentined yet & the pox does look better, it has been about 2 weeks.

I thought I read somewhere that if they get the fowl pox they don't get it again? Correct me if I am wrong please!
smile.png

I read that also...in the "disease" area of the Learning Center on here

Has anybody tried any type of vitamines or electrolytes??

Usually fowl pox looks like white warty nodules and then they turn black. Their tends to be more than I see on your bird. Are you sure he wasn't just pecked there in that spot? I would definitely separate from the rest of flock since fowlpox can spread slowly through a flock from chicken to chicken. If it is not fowlpox you definitly want to separate incase it is ILT.
Hope he gets better. The gurgling is very concerning.

Morning

Mrs. Bamachicken,

What is ILT?????

I don't recall seeing that one in the learning center.

We are still looking for what the grey lump on only 2 of our girls is...I am 99% positive they have the pox, but haven't seen anywhere where they get this lump on the nostril...

Have a great day all!!

Back
Top Bottom