Fowl Pox???? Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by laura2002, Aug 10, 2014.

1. laura2002

laura2002 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    North Shore, MA
    I need some help....one of my girls last week had one (and only one) black spot on her comb. No coughing, doesn't act funny at all, just her usual self. Today, when I went to go give them treats, I found her comb, 1/2 off, hanging in front of her face and I can't find any other injuries. I'm really worried about her, our other girls seem just fine, but I'm not sure what I should be doing for her. It just looks horrible and I really hope it's not as painful as it looks. We, unfortunately, have been batteling a fox all summer long (have lost 3 of our girls, even though we have been trying everying we can think of to keep them safe), but we don't think she was attacked. Does this sounds like pox to anyone or anybody else have any other ideas? I wish I had a picture, but she got tired of me handling her and took off to the brush and I decided to give her a bit of a reprieve....I'm just stressing a bit...Thank you all in advance!!!
    Laura

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
  3. laura2002

Apr 25, 2012
    North Shore, MA
    Thank you for your reply, I did get a picture and realized how much of her face was actually involved, last week, she had no black in her feathers at all, whether that is dirt or not, I'm not sure, but she wasn't happy I've been chasing her all afternoon trying to get a good look at her comb and I was afraid of completely stressing her out. Our chickens have had a really rough month with the fox and all and I'm not sure how chickens handle stress (this is our first flock), so I was afraid to over do it. Any ideas are more than welcome and more than appreciated!! BTW, I believe she has a pea comb, flat against her skull, so it's torn away...

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  4. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Sounds like you wore yourself out trying to chase her down! I have found that the best way to get them is to sit still. Have some special treats in your pocket (like black oil sunflower seeds, mealworms, etc.) and put a few in the palm of your hand and just....sit....she will eventually come over if for anything else out of curiosity. Talk quietly and gently and she should come around....it takes time to settle them down sometimes...keep us updated!

5. laura2002

Apr 25, 2012
    North Shore, MA
    Obviously, I don't post often to this group and I'm just lost...I did get a picture, thought it posted and now when I look at my post, it's not there....I'm going to keep trying, but maybe someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong (that is, unless I get it to work!). Thanks for all of your help and patience!!

Laura

[​IMG]

6. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    When I enlarged the photo you posted I can see 1-2 black pox's .. could very well be fowl pox. Have you read the webpage I sent you?

7. laura2002

Apr 25, 2012
    North Shore, MA
    I did, but there were a few things that made me wonder if this was actually pox...there was no white spots prior to the single black spot, there's no repritory issues and no issues with her mouth (yet). BUT, we have insane mosquitos here, day (due to the marsh) and night, so who knows. So far, my other girls look fine and from reading the webpage, there doesn't seem to be anything I can do (or am I misreading this??). But, her comb looks so incredibly painful/irritating!!!! iwiw60, thank you, again, for your help!! I checked her again today, she looks about the same, will check her again tonight before they go to bed (I'm running out to go do wedding shower stuff for my daughter's wedding). My poor chickens have had a rough year :(

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by