Fowl pox~How to treat it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mbphotos09, Nov 21, 2015.

1. mbphotos09

mbphotos09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2015
    Watching Chicken TV...
    Hello :frow
    Two of my hens have fowl pox. One hen has the dry kind but my other hen (polish) has the wet kind. I was wondering what I need to get to start treating my polish hen. And do I need to go ahead and start treating the whole flock? I have read that the dry pox just runs its course and you can't really do anything for it, correct?

Thank you so much for any advice you all can give!! I am glad I found this site, it has been super helpful! :)

2. mbphotos09

Apr 14, 2015
    Watching Chicken TV...
    Thank you for your response and those great links! :)
    My hen with wet pox seems to be eating, drinking, and acting normal. There are scabs on her wattles and above her nostrils. Inside her mouth, her tongue is yellow and has what looks like a little bit of puss in the beak. Her earlobe is also white, do you think that is dry skin? Thanks for the help!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The ear lobe could have dry skin or it might be favus a fungal infection. Antifungal creams such as clotrimazole and miconazole will treat that. Coconut oil can be good for dry skin. Are both ear lobes the same color?

4. mbphotos09

Apr 14, 2015
    Watching Chicken TV...
    Yes they are both the same color. I will try to get a picture of her face, it's a little difficult because she's not as tame as my other chickens. :/

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If there both the same color, then it may just be normal.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  6. mbphotos09

Apr 14, 2015
    Watching Chicken TV...
    Her earlobes haven't been like that, I just noticed the white today. Does it seem like dry skin?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by