fowl pox?I'm new here.

lil' fowl

In the Brooder
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
HI!...i just purchased some ancona hens, one hen has huge warts on face,eyes,around beak, she looks sickly too. From what I read it sounds like fowl pox so I need to vacinate all my birds, wellllll I'm not happy about it since I've never done this,dogs,cats, yes...never chickens, I read under the wing....I have a huge box of syringes for dogs/cats....can I use them or is there a different needle for chickens???? These just seem kinda big to be poken into a chickens wing.....I've had chickens most of my life and never had anything like this, now I'll have to vacinate all the new chicks I order from now on, guess it's a good idea anyway. I wonder how many birds a bottle will vacinate, I have somewhere between 25-30 birds. I should have left those birds right there but I just wasn't familiar with the desease. I free range so it probably won't spead very fast since there are no mosquitos and it is spread by blood....I have the sick one confined. I know I need to kill and dispose of her because there is no cure but I can't seem to make myself do it....I would appreciate any info on this. THANKS!

Thanks!!! hen died, i'm relieved....i'll chk it out...thanks...thanks...thanks!!!

well back to square one...it doesn't look anything like those pic's....she had big,BIG warts..they was yellow......wish i could get out of here and i'd take her to the agr vet and see what it is...roads are bad here rt now and it's 60 miles away...ugh.....but i did learn about giving shots....

Fowl pox looks different during the course of the disease; in my flock, it started as whitish areas on the comb and wattles, progressed to yellowish, liquid filled blisters, then black, crusty scabs. The scabs can last for quite a while; one of my hens still has a bit of a scab left over on her comb from her bout of pox that began in November.

As you probably now know, most chickens recover from fowl pox fine without any intervention, and then they are immune from getting the disease again.

Back
Top Bottom