1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fowl pox in chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krmkfowl, Feb 7, 2017.

1. krmkfowl

krmkfowl Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2017
    Hi all, I'm brand new to chickens. I just bought 4 week old silkie crosses (three showgirls, one frizzle), they're about 10 days old now. One of the showgirls is presenting with small nodules on its neck, they look like pimples with a red dot in the center of each bump. All the chicks are active and seem otherwise ok.
    What's the prognosis in chicks this young?
    Should I separate the one chick, or have the others likely caught it already too?
    The pic below looks very similar to my chick's neck. I can get some actual pictures in a bit![​IMG]

2. krmkfowl

krmkfowl Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2017
    Here's a picture of the chick:
    [​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How hot is it where you live? Do you have mosquitoes out now where you live? Ants and other insects can bite them if they are out in a coop, so you might look around. Chicks can really have a bad time with fowl pox. If it gets near their eyes, they can get infected. There is no treatment for pox. Some paint the scabs gently with betadine, but do not disturb the scabs, which can spread it. Can you separate the sick ones with just a screen in the brooder, so they won't be pecked or be using the same feeder/waterer?

4. krmkfowl

krmkfowl Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2017
    Thanks for the information, I'm in Florida so mosquitoes are active year round. I'm keeping the chicks inside for now, but when I bought them they'd been in an outside brooder for a couple of days. I'll set up a second brooder after work and seperate them, and stock up on betadine and vitamins. I'm hoping since the affected chick is acting normal it's only dry pox and less contagious...I am WAY more attached to these chicks than I thought I would be; hopefully they pull through!

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Let us know how they get along. It is difficult to tell pox from other problems as chicks. Pictures of the scabs really help, if they change or if you have more questions. Wet pox looks like yellow patches inside the beak and airway, esophagus, and elsewhere. The only ones visible would be in the mouth. Look for a very sick chick who is not eating who could have that type.

6. krmkfowl

krmkfowl Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2017
    Thanks, I'll keep you updated!

7. krmkfowl

krmkfowl Just Hatched

Feb 7, 2017
    So I ended up with 2/4 chicks having the rash, thankfully it resolved after a few days though with no problems. They're doing great so far :) [​IMG]

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Cuties! Thank you for the update, that is good to hear.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by