Fowl Pox? It looks like it to me

brandon00733

Chirping
Apr 25, 2016
Mid Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Can anybody help with what this looks like? We found this on our black sex link today. We looked at the reSt of our girls tonight and they all have something starting either white crusty spots or black tips on their combs.

The picture is not clear, but it does look like pox. Is is hot there, and do you have mosquitoes out where you live? Pox is a virus spread by mosquitoes. Separate any birds together with scabs from the rest. Disturbing the scabs can spread pox. It will go away in 2-3 weeks, but if there are yellow spots or scabs inside the beak or mouth, it can be more serious causing them to starve themselves or develop secondary infections. There is no treatment for pox, except that some will dab betadine onto scabs, and treat any secondary infections. If scabs are near eyes, keep them cleaned with saline and apply Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel from a feed store twice a day.

If you don't have mosquitoes out now, then it might be peck marks.

Last edited:
Yes we are in Florida both hot and lots of mosquitos already this year. Thank you for replying and with help. Still very new at this. I will check their mouths tomorrow first thing and separate who does and doesn't have it. Thank you. I will try and get a better picture to post.

These were the worst three but they all have the scabs. Treated them all today so hopefully will see some improvement soon.
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Yes, very easy to identify pox now. There is a pox vaccine available online to buy for chickens not yet exposed or for newer chickens that you may hatch or buy. I think there is one for young birds, and another for older birds or for the ones vaccinated as chicks. The UC Davis and Uof FL have good articles on pox vaccine and how to give them.

Back
Top Bottom