Fowl pox on the eye

kaylad1993

Chirping
Mar 5, 2021
Hello,

My flock has been going through fowl pox for the past month. One in particular has it really bad around her eyes. One eye is completely shut and the other is slightly swollen with both having the scabs.

Any advice in applying any topical treatment? I’ve been letting everyone run it’s course but she’s the worse out of all of them.

Do you have any pictures? If scabs are near eyes, you can use either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day in the eye. That helps to prevent a secondary infection in the eye. It is best to not disturb scabs of pox, since that can spread the virus more.

That’s great news! I’m happy you had success with that. I also purchased the Vetericyn eye wash and eye gel, but I’m not seeing much improvement. How old are your girls that recovered? I’m beginning to wonder if my old ladies health are just too weak to fight the virus off.

Do you have any pictures? If scabs are near eyes, you can use either Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day in the eye. That helps to prevent a secondary infection in the eye. It is best to not disturb scabs of pox, since that can spread the virus more.

Hi I'm having the same problem with my chickens. Penny being the worst. We just coated all the chickens today with Iodine. But, I can use an triple antibiotic in her eye or around her eye? Is this dry poxs ? Thanks for your advice

Attachments

• 20221005_123645.jpg
    20221005_123645.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221005_123645.jpg
    20221005_123645.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 22
I am so sorry. All my chickens have dry pox right now as well. Were your chickens ok? One of our chickens has an eye shut and I feel so bad. Don’t know what else to do. Let me know if you found any ways to help them heal faster! I’ve been using triple antibiotic for three days on it but it doesn’t seem to help.

It is best to try not to disturb the fowl pox scabs around eyes, since those scabs are infectious, and the virus can be spread more by messing with them. You can put a dab of antibiotic ointment or saline in the eyes to prevent infection. Fowl pox usually clears up in about a month.

Back
Top Bottom