1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Fowl pox or favus?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    So I think I have fowl pox on a couple of my chickens. I've got a couple of people that were coming to pick up eggs for hatching....I don't want to spread this to their flocks.
    Should I be worried that giving eggs from my coop will spread the disease?

ETA: looks just like this, so I think I'm dealing with favus instead of pox. Great, I haven't been too careful handling them. [​IMG] https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=74158
    Moved
    them out of the coop...probably picked it up from wild birds.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    I don't believe that it is transferred via eggs (only bird-to-bird or bird-to-mosquito-to-bird) - but you should definitely let your customer know and make that decision for themselves!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Fowl pox is not transmitted via the egg, but yes, you can tell the customer and let them decide.

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Thanks folks. I definitely would tell the recipients (not selling, just giving to fellow BYC'ers).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by