Fowl pox or?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by missmimz, Sep 3, 2016.

1. missmimz

missmimz Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2014
    Arizona
    My 2.5 year old black australorp hasn't been eating for the last day or so and has been very lethargic. She's sitting around mostly. She's drinking a little bit, but wont eat any food. At first i suspected she had fowl pox because it kind of looks like she does (see pic), but she also has drippings smeared on her back feathers and seems like she may have 'water belly.' She hasn't laid in about 3 months, which is kind of normal for her she's never been a good layer and goes broody fairly often, but she's not broody and isn't molting. Her droppings appear to be normal no worms or blood.

I do live in AZ and we're at the end of a hot summer, but they always have fresh water, a mister, shade, and i feed good quality fermented food.

I can't get her into a vet until next week because of the holiday, is there anything else I can do to help her at this point? I have some rooster booster vitamins coming today to add to their water. I've been syringing her a little homemade milk kiefer. I just hate to see her so miserable she's usually a very happy girl :(

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    any other problems like walking,
    are her eyes always like that, or have they changed, i see a golden in the middle and dark red on the outside?
    pictures of poop, picture of the whole bird
    how is her body mass
    have you tried feeding scrambled or hard boiled eggs?

3. missmimz

Dec 5, 2014
    Arizona
    Her eyes are always like that. She's walking okay, doesn't seem to be waddling although she kind of waddles normally a bit. Body mass seems okay, although she isn't eating right now but she seems a bit more alert and she was pecking around a little bit. It's hot here, about 105 right now, so their poop is frequently watery. The black dots on her comb are definitely not normal, she doesn't usually have those. I haven't tried feeding any eggs, but I will try that. I was thinking of syringing her some water with a little rooster booster in it too.

body pic
    body pic
    back of body pic
    poop

4. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    [​IMG]

@casportpony

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  5. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    i am going to look into something

6. missmimz

Dec 5, 2014
    Arizona
    Thanks for your help, much appreciated. She did eat a little scrambled eggs, but no interest in regular food or even some spinach, which she loves.

7. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    how long have you had her and what breed is she?

8. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    @casportpony

could this be ocular mareks in its early stages, it presents itself so differently in each bird its hard to tell

9. missmimz

Dec 5, 2014
    Arizona
    She's about 2 years old, I've had her most of that time. Fairly certain she's a Black Australorp.

10. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    can you get a pic of her other eye?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by