Fowl Pox or?

alicat1993

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2021
I'm new to this group. As a matter of fact, I ended up here as a result of searching my chickens symptoms. I have a flock of 9 birds. 8 hens, 1 rooster. All of them seem fine except one of my hens seems to be sick. I am asking for some advice. I noticed about a week ago that she seemed to be distancing herself from the rest of the flock. Each day seems a little worse. She just stays to herself. Seems lethargic. Wont come running to eat when I feed them. Tonight I've made her a makeshift spot to lay in my house where its quiet and warm. The others started pecking at her today like they know something is wrong. I've managed to get her to drink from a syringe but other than that, she isn't doing it on her own. I'm calling my local vets in the morning as soon as they open but was hoping someone here could give me some advice. The only droppings I've seen since she's been inside weren't solid at all and are bright yellow.

Attachments

• IMG_6855.jpg
    IMG_6855.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 9
The places on her comb look like scabs from pecking.

How old is she?

Has she been laying eggs?

I would check her over for lice/mites, make sure her crop is emptying overnight. She may be having some reproductive issues if she's not been laying eggs - feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid below the vent between her legs.

Work on hydration, electrolytes for a few hours, then switch to plain water.

Photo of poop may be helpful.

The places on her comb look like scabs from pecking.

How old is she?

Has she been laying eggs?

I would check her over for lice/mites, make sure her crop is emptying overnight. She may be having some reproductive issues if she's not been laying eggs - feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid below the vent between her legs.

Work on hydration, electrolytes for a few hours, then switch to plain water.

Photo of poop may be helpful.
I’m not sure of her age because she came to us as an adult hen. As of late she has not been laying anything. I will check her vent. Tried checking her crop and she was not having it. I’ve been able to get her electrolytes with a syringe. Here is a photo of her poop from the last 12 hours

Attachments

• 8B1CDB26-D5B4-4B23-AB86-D98BF90BC1E7.jpeg
    8B1CDB26-D5B4-4B23-AB86-D98BF90BC1E7.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 3
  • 5300296B-812E-41E2-BFB8-C612C1C4E396.jpeg
    5300296B-812E-41E2-BFB8-C612C1C4E396.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Wait until morning to check her crop - you want to make sure it's emptying overnight. If she's not liking you touching the crop, then that may be part of her problem (a symptom).

The poop reminds of a hen that is having reproductive issues, which unfortunately can be common.
See if that crop is emptying, if it is, then you can try giving her a round of antibiotics to see if that helps with inflammation. Amoxicillin can sometimes be found at TSC or ordered online.
De-worming her may be a good idea too.

Treat the crop if it's not emptying. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Hopefully she will perk up for you for a while.

Just my 2¢

Wait until morning to check her crop - you want to make sure it's emptying overnight. If she's not liking you touching the crop, then that may be part of her problem (a symptom).

The poop reminds of a hen that is having reproductive issues, which unfortunately can be common.
See if that crop is emptying, if it is, then you can try giving her a round of antibiotics to see if that helps with inflammation. Amoxicillin can sometimes be found at TSC or ordered online.
De-worming her may be a good idea too.

Treat the crop if it's not emptying. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Hopefully she will perk up for you for a while.

Just my 2¢
Thank you for your advice. I also noticed upon holding her today that she has little mites or lice crawling through her feathers. So I got some DE from Tractor Supply

Also want to add that I checked her vent. I don’t feel any fluid or eggs but I’m not sure I’m feeling the right spot. Her breast bone is extremely prominent. Good news is I have a vet appointment but bad news is she can’t be seen until Wednesday.

DE can irritate eyes and breathing in humans and birds. It won’t treat an outbreak of lice or mites. Your best bet is to get Permethrin horse spray, Gordons or Martins permethrin 10 concentrate to mix with water in a spray bottle according to the inside label instructions, or the permethrin garden dust. Lice should be treated at 10 day intervals to get the newly hatched ones, and mites, every 7 days. This article contains info on DE, and lice and mite pictures and treatments.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Do you think possible scaly leg mites? Here are photos of each of her legs

Attachments

• 5DB0F7DA-49B8-4DEF-9493-061B8EEF06B5.jpeg
    5DB0F7DA-49B8-4DEF-9493-061B8EEF06B5.jpeg
    496 KB · Views: 3
  • D27D7D4C-1634-42A8-997B-62FAD260ED7D.jpeg
    D27D7D4C-1634-42A8-997B-62FAD260ED7D.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom