Fowl Pox or?

Now I’m beginning to worry 100x more . I checked on her this morning, and there was poo EVERYWHERE. And it’s straight up black. I’m going to call the vet again today to see if they can get us in earlier. Any ideas what that means?

4D9B28FA-64B2-432F-9BDF-C936C86C0912.jpeg

This was not like this when I checked on her before bed last night. Don’t worry, I changed it all before coming to this thread. But what in the world?!

The poop reminds of a hen that is having reproductive issues, which unfortunately can be common.
See if that crop is emptying, if it is, then you can try giving her a round of antibiotics to see if that helps with inflammation. Amoxicillin can sometimes be found at TSC or ordered online.
She may have some infection, did you try antibiotics?

The poop, if I had to take a good guess, reminds me of hens that have reproductive issues. I've seen that in my own. Cancer, Peritonitis, Salpingitis, etc., can be common in laying hens. Unfortunately, treating symptoms and offering supportive care if often all that can be done.

Hopefully your vet may be able to give you more info. Keep us posted.

So sorry for your loss. If you still have her body, you could send it to your state vet for a necropsy. Keep the body cold. Or you could open the abdomen yourself and do a simple necropsy to look for yellow fluid in the abdomen, or take pictures of the organs to post here for opinions. Her yellow urates in the first pictures make me think that it was a reproductive infection or ascites. The black droppings could be from old blood or reproductive disorder.

Back
Top Bottom