Fowl Pox? PICS (help ASAP pls)

PepsNick

Back to Business
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Egglanta, GA
I know I've already posted about this a couple of weeks ago, so remove this if you must. But these little black dots are spreading a little more on my pullets' comb, and only comb. It is dry. Is this dry fowl pox? If so, should I just rub iodine on it and put iodine in their water?
smile.png
Thank you.

On my Barred Rock:
56934_pepperpox.jpg

On my Black Sexlink:
56934_lilypox.jpg

Quote:
NO! DONT put iodine in the water...only on the nodules or scabs when they form. Keep the iodine away from the eyes, nostrils and mouth.

ohh ok! do you think it's pox?

Quote:
NO! DONT put iodine in the water...only on the nodules or scabs when they form. Keep the iodine away from the eyes, nostrils and mouth.

ohh ok! do you think it's pox?

I cant tell...the pics are too small, sorry.

Ummm, not sure why you said to not put iodine in water and keep away from nostrils and mouth. Iodine is a commonly used disinfectant for drinking water. I did a lot of research on this during a recent bout of pox. Certainly do not want to overdo it, and there are types of iodine that would be a problem, but tincture labeled with USP or povidone iodine is okay; about 9 drops per quart. I found various amounts, but that is most common dose I found. I would certainly not use long term, but for the course of pox should be okay.

BTW, I don't see any "little black dots" in the photos. Can you post larger photos?

Last edited:
If it is fowl pox it will disappear on its own after about 3 weeks. You don't actually have to do a thing; it will run its course, and then they will be immune. It is a virus so, like most viruses, there is no treatment.

The reason people use stuff like Iodine is to prevent secondary infection. If there are a lot of lesions, this can certainly happen. I had one hen who had it so bad, her whole head got infected. But if you just have a few small spots you are probably safe just leaving them alone, especially after two weeks. If they were going to get infected, I would think they would already have done so by now.

All I did was dab most of the lesions with a little Betadine, one time. I probably got a bit more generous with protein treats, too. I certainly didn't treat the water, though a bit of iodine in the water does disinfect it -- only you do need to know the proportion, as it could be toxic, and I don't know it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom