Fowl Pox? Pics Included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OrganicCowgirl, Jul 9, 2008.

1. OrganicCowgirl

OrganicCowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    northeast of Houston, TX
    My flock is 4 month old RIRs, BR pullets, and 2-3 month old cochins, faverolles, ameraucanas, and black spanish and lilac turkeys pullets and cockerels (and toms?)

I was gone for two weeks and a neighbor was caring for them. When I came back yesterday, well....things had, um, changed. They're all normally active and pooping fine. The only sign of a problem is funky combs on the chickens and pustules? on the turkey heads and one foot.

I haven't treated them at all, just maintained normal care and took pictures to post here.

They free range during the day and are cooped in a plywood/wire 12'x12' stall with shavings for bedding. While I was gone, they were cooped constantly.

Thank you all for any help or advice you have!!

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    it looks like marks from pecking to me

3. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    it certainly looks like it, good luck...

jenny

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

When mine had the pox they just looked like warts. That looks like either they have fighting, or something else to me.

5. Psittizen Shikkin

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    the foot and the last pic do look suspicious though good luck

6. OrganicCowgirl

OrganicCowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    northeast of Houston, TX
    If all the spots looked like the back of the RIRs comb, I would have assumed it was pecking injuries. But, the cochin's eye has a spot on it, the RIR has a small spot on it's ear, and a dot of 'wart' or 'pock' on it's comb side (dark spot in photo). And, well, whatever is wrong with that turkey is DEFINITELY not peck damage.

I'm really freaked out because I'm their sole caretaker and am 9 weeks pregnant, so I need to make darn sure that it's not something I have to stay away from. :eek: I'm obviously washing up thoroughly and mostly staying away from them, but need to know if that's enough. So, I'm pretty desperate to diagnose them. I can't find a vet anywhere around me that'll look at them.

It's nasty looking, whatever it is.

7. Psittizen Shikkin

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    From what I've read, it poses no threat to you. Your birds might even survive it. If they do, they will not become carriers. I would separate the ones with symptoms and keep up with the frequent hand washing. I believe that antibiotics might be helpful with the affected birds. Not sure how much though.

8. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Pox are caused by mosquito bites and will go away on their own. The only problem they really cause is if they have the wet pox, in their mouth and nose. Supposedly after they have them once,they don't get them again. All 16 of my Blue Slates had them last year, I just opened each ones mouth everyday to make sure they didn't have them in their throat and they went away in about 7-10 days. None of them ever acted bothered.

9. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I am by NO means an expert...but those look like pecking sores. NOT pox. The spot on the foot....hmmm... I would keep an eye on it tho. Could be an infection. If they were locked up for a period of time, and not used to it...definately they would peck each other, out of boredome, or space issues. They should heal up just fine. Just watch for infection, especially around the eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by