Fowl pox picture

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chilman, Oct 1, 2013.

1. chilman

chilman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    Here is a picture of my little rooster and his wattles. Both wattles look like this. So I am confused on wether or not he has fowl pox or if he has favus as some one mentioned in my post from yesterday,

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It looks like a mild case of Fowl Pox to me. There is no treatment; the disease should run its course in 3-6 weeks. However, to prevent secondary infection, I would recommend treating with an antibiotic like Oxytetracycline (sold under names like Tetroxy HCA-280, Terramycin, etc.) or Tylan. Other than that, I would just make sure your rooster eats, drinks, and is warm and comfortable.

In the future, you might consider vaccinating your flock for Fowl Pox. Here is a link to a vaccine source: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies....in_page=product_info&cPath=46&products_id=566 It should be administered to young birds using the wing web stab method.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree. It certainly doesn't look too serious yet, if it is Fowl Pox. He'll probably be fine.

4. chilman

chilman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2011
    Thanks for the info. If all of my chickens are about 1 to 2 years old, are they too old to be vaccinated?

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure. I know that the vaccine is usually administered to 12 week old chicks, but don't know whether it can be done to older birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by