fowl pox shot

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SelenaLuvChicks, Oct 20, 2011.

1. SelenaLuvChicks

SelenaLuvChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Where can I get fowl pox chicken shot? How much would it cost?[​IMG]

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

There are two versions of fowl pox vaccine. One is for chicks and one is for older birds. Most well stocked poultry product suppliers carry it or can get it for you. It is a live vaccine that comes in two vials that have to be mixed. It has to remain refrigerated. Once mixed, the vaccine is only good for about 30 minutes. The smallest dose vial it comes in is 1000 doses. It generally runs around $5 for the vaccine. It is very costly to have it shipped as it needs to be shipped overnight or express mail. It is administered by way of wing web applicator. It is a small two pronged instrument that looks like a sewing seam ripper. The prongs have a small groove in each one. The applicator is dipped into the vaccine and then it is pushed completely through the web of the wing.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You can vaccinate or let it runs its course. Most every one who has chickens has had fowl pox which generally lasts about 2 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by