fowl pox, sorehead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mistchick, Sep 23, 2010.

1. mistchick

mistchick New Egg

Sep 23, 2010
    Aloha,
    Through checking disease sites I think I figure out that my hens are suffering from sorehead. I see the wart like scabs on their wattles, their egg production is off, and they seem to be off of their feed. I am raising them organically so I have interest in knowing if there is a natural remedy- herb, essential oil, etc. - that can assist with causing everything to heal faster?
    Aloha, mistchick

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Nothing organically nor chemically...it has to run its course which takes about a month more or less. Welcome to BYC.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  3. mistchick

mistchick New Egg

Sep 23, 2010
    Too bad they have to suffer through it. Once they have it can they get it again? or, are they immune to it? If they can get it again how does one attempt to irradicate it? I have a chicken tractor that I move every other day or two.
    Aloha, Mistchick

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    They will be immune to it after it passes. It is normally carried by mosquitos, sometimes by other birds that may come in contact with your birds. Since your chickens are in a tractor, try buying some window screen to cover the tractor. Even though your chickens will be immune to fowl pox, keep in mind that mosquitos carry many other types of deadly diseases and virusus that are transmittable to chickens and humans, such as encephalitis and west nile virus etc...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by