Silkie_Mom

Songster
Oct 26, 2017
Arizona
It seems to be mosquito season for so many this time of year, which has led me down a fowl pox rabbit hole. I've read dozens of articles about the virus and the vaccine and protecting your flock. The articles seem to skip over what happens to birds that are already/currently infected. Wet pox seems to be more serious than dry pox because it could block a chicken's airway and mouth. BUT is it possible for them to heal from both? Do people cull infected birds to protect the rest of the flock? Do you quarantine until healed and then release back into the flock like normal? How are people quarantining to keep the virus contained?

I have so many questions! Please tell me your experiences or your "neighbors" experiences ;)

It seems to be mosquito season for so many this time of year, which has led me down a fowl pox rabbit hole. I've read dozens of articles about the virus and the vaccine and protecting your flock. The articles seem to skip over what happens to birds that are already/currently infected. Wet pox seems to be more serious than dry pox because it could block a chicken's airway and mouth. BUT is it possible for them to heal from both? Do people cull infected birds to protect the rest of the flock? Do you quarantine until healed and then release back into the flock like normal? How are people quarantining to keep the virus contained?

I have so many questions! Please tell me your experiences or your "neighbors" experiences ;)
All of my birds (9) all cooped. Had them last fall. Not wet pox. You have to watch and make sure it doesn't turn into that. As long as it doesn't - don't worry about quarantine. They've all already been exposed. They'll all get over quickly. Make sure they are eating/drinking. It's Chicken Pox. It speaks like wildfire.

All of my birds (9) all cooped. Had them last fall. Not wet pox. You have to watch and make sure it doesn't turn into that. As long as it doesn't - don't worry about quarantine. They've all already been exposed. They'll all get over quickly. Make sure they are eating/drinking. It's Chicken Pox. It speaks like wildfire.
*spreads

There is no need to vaccinate birds if they've already had fowl pox. As mentioned, they will immune to that particular strain.
However, they could be susceptible to another type of pox such as canary pox, turkey pox, pigeon pox etc. The odds are slim that this will happen.

The fowl pox vaccination helps prevent fowl pox and pigeon pox, that's all.
I wouldnt worry about it. I've dealt with fowl pox and it passes through a flock slowly. It usually takes 4 to 6 weeks to run its course. No need to quarantine, mosquitos are everywhere.
For me, birds with wet pox would be an automatic cull.

The fowl pox warts or lesions are infective. When they dry up and fall to the ground, and if eaten by a chicken, the chicken will develop wet pox. It's best to put iodine on the lesions to shrink them and kill the virus that makes them infective.

Once they get it for the first time they become immune. I would say not to cull because many chickens survive this virus.
Question my flock had them and all 6 got over them last year I am going to have baby chicks in the next week. After the adults get it and get over it they won’t spread it correct? None have symptoms and actually it didn’t seem to effect them hardly at all. All continued to lay and they only had a few spots on each of them.

Question my flock had them and all 6 got over them last year I am going to have baby chicks in the next week. After the adults get it and get over it they won’t spread it correct? None have symptoms and actually it didn’t seem to effect them hardly at all. All continued to lay and they only had a few spots on each of them.
You are correct, no worries unless an infected mosquito bites a chick.

Back
Top Bottom