Fowl Pox TRUTH

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bedste, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    Last year during the mosquito epidemic my flock was infected with fowl pox.. I did not loose any of my girls but I did end up immunizing the flock and having a few in my chicken hospital of a bathroom. When researching I discovered that some people warned that from now on i would have to vaccinate each new bird that hatched or new members brought in. There was also others who said that all of that was not true..... Today..... almost a year later.... I notice that my new Rooster has the pox...
    So there you go... so I quickly vaccinated all the new birds. I do not want a repeat of last year. I was thinking that this proves something... but it also could be that he simply got it because he is not immune and the mosquitos are out again.

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's what Merck Vet Manual has to say about Fowl Pox:

"The virus is present in large numbers in the lesions and is usually transmitted by contact through abrasions of the skin. Skin lesions(scabs) shed from the recovering birds in poultry houses can become a source of aerosol infection. Mosquitos and other biting insects may serve as mechanical vectors. Transmission within flocks is rapid when mosquitos are plentiful. Some affected birds may become carriers, and the disease may be reactivated by stress (eg, moulting) or by immunosuppression due to other infections. The disease tends to persist for extended periods in multiple-age poultry complexes."

Sounds like the contradictory advice you received was at least partly right. Merck does recommend vaccine if you live in an area where fowl pox is prevalent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by