Fowl Pox *update* rooster fighting not Foul Pox

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Harli50, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Harli50

Harli50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    we suspect 3-4 out our 14 chickens have foul pox. the look like they have scabish looking things on there earlobes wattles and combs, but it almost seems to be on our roosters the most. we have three roos that have it and its not to bad on our biggest roo (andulusion)sp? but alot on our smaller roos, the small buff brahma and our OEGB they started crowing about 2 months ago. at first thought it could be pecking order and all (still an option) then today it hit me. foul pox. could they be fighting or is it something else

if it is FP is it something that will go away on its own or do we need more than that?
    will it spread to the rest of the flock?

thanks for your time and advise,
    Harli

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. Beth G.

Beth G. Gaetano Family Farm

could they possibly be fighting and have battle wounds?
    Quote:

3. Harli50

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    i havent sen them fight and there both quite calm so i dont know but maybe ill try to get some pics up soon

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Fowl pox is transmitted primarily thru mosquitos. Are you in an area where mosquitos are around this time of year?

I fought a bout with FP this last summer. If mosquitos are present, it will likely spread to the other birds.

The good thing is that once they have been infected, they will not get it again (kinda like humans and chicken pox)

5. Beth G.

Okay so if you do not think they are fighting or being picked on I would say it could be fowl pox. But, I do not really know enough about fowl pox to give you any advice sorry [​IMG]

I vaccinate all my birds against it since I live near a swamp with heavy skeeter population. What State do you live in? I live in CT and it's only 19 degrees here so no skeeters here until spring time pheww
    Quote:

6. Harli50

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    im in utah i see a few masquitos here and there its still a little warm here

7. Beth G.

8. Harli50

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    sorry for poor quality but my camera REALY sucks [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    its realy hard to see but the bottoms of threr earlobs are scabbed and purple an theres scabs om combs and wattles the first bird is the biggest out of the two and then our OEGB niether of them have spurs realy there still quite young but they do have some pretty long claws

9. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    From what I can see that is from fighting.... How old are these guys? And are the roos all together??
    Fowl Pox is very noticeable. They are large raised welts with scabs on them ususally on the head.

10. Beth G.

Good Morning,

I'm still thinking these are battle wounds. I looked around on the internet for pic's of Fowl Pox and your birds do not seem to have any signs from what I saw. I could be wrong but, I still think it's from them grabbing at each other and since it's only roosters displaying the marks that is why I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

Best Wishes!!
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by