fowl pox vaccination for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thewolf1039, Feb 17, 2018.

1. thewolf1039

thewolf1039 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    hi every one im incubating chicken eggs and my flock has chicken pox im on day 15 and i know they might not have it when my chicks are ready to go out side but if my flock can get them then i dont want my chicks getting them where can i get the vaccsene and can they even have it and if they can what age can i give it to them and what side needle

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    thewolf1039 likes this.
  3. The vaccine I used years ago was applied with a small fork like needle. The prongs of the needle was dipped or stuck into the vile of vaccine and the two tips of the needle was jabbed through the wing web of the chicken. You need some way to separate or segregate the vaccinated chickens from the just fixing to be vaccinated chickens, if you know what I mean?

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. Carelessmessage

Carelessmessage In the Brooder

Dec 2, 2017
    Oroville, CA
    I vaccinate for fowl pox. Online farm stores is usually where I get it. Sometimes local farm store have it. They cant be vaccinated til 2 months, atleast all the ones I have bought have said 2 months. It comes with the two prong tool.
    Its the easiest vaccine to give a simple wing web poke and done.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. thewolf1039

thewolf1039 Crowing

Mar 5, 2017
    thanks everyone is there any thing eals i should vaccinate for

6. Carelessmessage

Carelessmessage In the Brooder

Dec 2, 2017
    Oroville, CA
    It all depends on you. I vaccinate for Mycoplasma and Coryza. But I have chickens that are showing this year , also rare colors and a couple projects. These are a few things that have been known to be in my area. I just dont want to chance it as some colors are irreplaceable. Unlike most vaccines these are pre-mixed and stay good for a long time but are really expensive. I've sold off some of the extra doses of vaccine when I got it. So I got alittle of the money back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by