1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fowl pox vaccine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DebBradley, Feb 11, 2016.

1. DebBradley

DebBradley Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2014
    My Silkies about 10 months old, and are laying eggs. Can I vaccinate them for fowl pox, I've been reading in the directions on sites that sell it that it should be given after 8 weeks of age or 4 week before they start laying. Is it too late to vaccinate?

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    you can vaccinate at any age, it's often done at a later age to part of a flock to check for 'takes' (or lack of) to see if the first vaccination took.

3. DebBradley

DebBradley Just Hatched

Aug 16, 2014
    Can the eggs be eaten after and can I incubate the eggs? If not how long do I wait?

4. JetCat

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    21 day withholding but eggs can be incubated during that time.

5. RollerDerbyLexi

RollerDerbyLexi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2013
    My flock of 6 came down with the Fowl Pox. The rooster looks really bad. [​IMG] He can't see due to the pox covering his eyes. [​IMG] I have 6 chicks in the brooder box. [​IMG] I'm going to vaccinate them before letting them interact with the flock. I found this U tube video that helps. Any other tips on age or administering the vaccine would be helpful. I will vaccinate the whole flock when I do the chicks. How often do I have to repeat? [​IMG]

6. JetCat

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    any chick that is vaccinated before 6 weeks of age will need a second vaccination after 10 weeks of age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by