Fowl pox??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tstrode, Apr 5, 2017.

1. tstrode

tstrode New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    I have an 11 month old with black spots on her comb and near her eye. She is in a group of 20 others the same age. None of the others have spots like hers. I'm concerned it's fowl pox! If so, what, if anything, can I do for her and the whole flock? [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She appears to have been pecked by the others, and the black spots are dried blood. Make sure they are not over crowded, and are getting outside to roam around. What are they eating? Sometimes too little protein in the diet may cause them to peck each other, but this may just be a one time thing where they are showing her her place. Pecking order is kind of brutle. Just make sure that they are not hurting her, or place her in a crate within view of the flock. Food and water should be added.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  3. tstrode

tstrode New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    The spots don't rub off. They have plenty of room...they free range all day and roost in a 10' X 15' coop at night. They eat Layer pellets and I add cracked corn from time to time, as well as some scraps. I've never seen the others pick on her. In fact, she is the only one of the 21 that will get fiesty with me if I try to take eggs she is sitting on. The other thing I didn't mention is that part of her comb lays down (always has)...you can see in the pic. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything, just thought I would mention it.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Dried blood peck wounds won't rub off, but they will slowly heal over several weeks, and may turn whitish or yellowish as they heal. I wouldn't worry too much in case she got into a tussle over the food, and got pecked. It certainly doesn't appear to be pox. Pox scabs may appear on the comb, wattles, and face. They start out biege or tan, then turn to brown. Here is what that looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. tstrode

tstrode New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Okay, thank you for your input! That puts my mind at ease. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by