Fowl Pox

Hayleytemplet

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 15, 2018
North Texas
I think one of my 4 chickens has fowl pox and 2 of the others are showing the spots on the waddles too. The 4th has a small waddles so it is harder to visualize any pox. Any advice on how to treat/deal with this?? They are free range chickens and I heard sunshine and space helps so that's should be good. We had a TON of rain recently so I'm thinking that didn't help but I'm pretty sure they have had it for a bit. I wanna treat them all and was thinking of getting some vitamins and putting it on some crushed boiled eggs. Any other ideas/suggestions? Other than the spots, they don't show any signs really other than possible reduced egg production but that could just be the season/weather.

Yes it's dry fowl pox. It's a virus caused by mainly by infected mosquitos. It will slowly go through your flock and go away on it's own in about a month or so.
Since it's a virus, there 's no treatment.
The scabs/lesions will eventually fall off onto the ground and are very infective. You can put black shoe polish or iodine on the scabs/lesions to help them dry up quicker and to prevent other birds pecking at them. Be careful not to get any of the shoe polish or iodine in the eyes. This will also prevent others from eating the scabs that can and will cause the deadlier form of wet pox.
Eggs are safe to eat.

20181026_160457_Film1.jpg 20181026_160358_Film1.jpg

Attachments

• 20181026_160306_Film1.jpg
    20181026_160306_Film1.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 18
Mine are going through this and it seems to get worse before better.
Yes exactly. Thanks for the comment... Makes you feel like a bad bird owner lol! Are you doing anything to "treat" it or just waiting it out? I bought some Probiotics/vitamin supplements to add to their water to hopefully help it pass a little quicker or at least help with the scabbed areas. Not sure it will do anything but it doesn't hurt either.

Yeah it does make me feel like a bad owner. Currently I'm just waiting it out. I just make sure they are eating and drinking water. Mine free range all day so they get to eat insects and whatever else they find.

Back
Top Bottom