BrandySC

In the Brooder
May 22, 2020
Is this fowl pox? My turkey has about five of these spots that look infected and scabbed on his caruncles. If it is not, any advice? And if it is just keep him comfy, watch for infection and disinfect, right? He was treated for a respiratory infection in early summer, any special concerns because of that?

Attachments

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
It does look possibly like fowl pox, a virus spread by mosquitoes. I will tag @R2elk and @casportpony and @oldhenlikesdogs for more experience with turkeys. Normally, one should not disturb fowl pox scabs, since it can spread the virus. It lasts about 3 weeks, and most birds recover, unless they develop the more deadly wet pox or diphtheritic form which causes yellow patches inside the beak and thoat.,

One Lucky Momma

Chicken Kisser
Premium Feather Member
Apr 25, 2020
Madison Co, NC
Brandy, I’m sorry your guy is going through this, but thanks for posting, esp with the good photo. The rest of us learn with you when you take the time to put it out there. Good luck!

And thanks, Eggcessive, for your prompt and helpful concern. Much appreciated!

oldhenlikesdogs

Suffering Succotash
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
Jul 16, 2015
Wisconsin
When my turkeys had fowl pox they were all black scabs everywhere on the heads. They got pretty bad. I'm not sure if that's pox in the pictures or not. They will get much worse and spread if they are in my experiences, before healing.

Top Bottom