Fowl Pox

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by apc, Nov 19, 2009.

1. apc

apc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Chickland, Il
    Currently away from my computer attempting to use my phone for internet and only able to view the forums. What are the symptoms of fowl pox? What is used to cure it? What precautions should be taken? Ive had two mysterious deaths within the last day and no symptoms other than ruffled feathers.(stated in another post) Just trying to figure it out . Thanks

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes back up with antibiotic to prevent further complications. I used gallimycin...or tylan. Fowl pox dry type are seen on combs and wattles, wet pox are found in the lungs and thraot and have greater risks. Do a search here on BYC lots of posts on fowl pox.

3. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    Quote:Mine just got over it... It's transmitted by mosquitoes or mites. It's viral so nothing u can do once they get it. There is a vaccine to prevent it though. Do they have scabby looking things on their combs and around the eyes? If no it's probably not pox. Sometimes they can get the "pox" in their throats and they can block their airway. Just keep an eye on them and if they develop a secondary infection like if any of the pox get infected treat them w/sulmet (but then u can't eat the eggs for 10 days).

4. kcravey

kcravey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    East Texas
    are they laying birds? My vet had me put the non-layers on medicated starter for a few weeks until it passed. The weak ones - Sulmet for a couple of days with vitamins and isolation.

I tried to get the vaccination and every feed store and the vet said it was useless, they can still get it even being vaccinated.

We knew it was pox because some of them had wart looking things on their combs and a couple got it on their eyes.

5. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    from my personal experince.

We brought home pox from a local auction.

did not know what it was, it got to the secondary infection, we lost 15 + birds.

A month later we had new birds, they got the pox, lost more from secondary infections.

joind BYC found lots of information. Read, Read, Read

Started giving chic-n-pox to to all biddies (with a second vaccine at 9 wks) and pox vaccine to all adult chickens.

6 months later, still no new pox. I will continue vaccinating untill I think the cycle is stopped.

Florida has lots of mosquitos, nats, fleas, lice, just plain bugs in general. I think, any thing that can bite will transfer this.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The vaccine can be very effective, but there are different forms of vaccine as well as different strains of pox.

Dry pox does NOT kill; wet pox can. A bird ill with pox has a lowered immune system and is more likely to contract a secondary infection.

Treat lesions with an antimicrobial iodine works well on external lesions; original listerine works well on internal ones.

Best "treatment" is spraying to kill and repel mosquitos, mites and other biting insects, and to remove standing water or other breeding sources.

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    For those of us living in suburban environments, we can spray for mosquitoes, take care of standing water, etc. in our own backyards, but it does little good if the folks living right next door don't do the same.

This was a very bad year where we live for mosquitoes. They were everywhere, all throughout the day. I used Deet products to no avail; I was bitten repeatedly through layers of Deet sprayed clothing, even. The little buggers even were biting us inside our house.

We haven't had a freeze yet and we've still got mosquitoes buzzing around outside. Gah. Hate 'em.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by