Fowl Pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tallyho, Dec 1, 2010.

1. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I just noticed very small black dots on 2 of my hens' combs. I thought it was dirt because it's been raining and it's muddy here. But when I picked one it bled a bit. The other 5 are perfectly fine and no sign of spots. Everyone is acting like they feel good. The two that have the spots are the two that are laying! I haven't brought in anyone new and haven't been to any other chicken yard. We do however have some new chicks but their paths have not crossed (babies in the house still) and I am careful about using chicken shoes, washing my hands, etc...Could this be a mild case of The Pox? This time of year? Should I go ahead and vaccinate the babies at 6 weeks? Is it hard to do? Crap.[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Where are you? Do you have mosquitoes this time of year?

3. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    I'm in Western Oregon and we've had cool rainy weather for a while. Even a freezing spell last week. But what is the incubation period? Could it be an older infection? I don't see the 'yellow' stage on anyone. Again, they are very small spots. I only noticed them because Misty got into something she shouldn't have and I had to pick her up to remove her. Since I had her I checked her for bugs (clean) and then I scratched her under her chin. I had her close enough to notice it. Of course my eyes are getting bad ...the worst thing about getting older...so maybe I missed it for a while. Could it be just a very mild case going through the flock? After they get The Pox they have permanent immunity, right?

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It could just be bug bites. Fowl pox will have raised lesions with black scabs. If fowl pox separate the hens and cote the scabs with iodine. It is a slow moving illness, so vaccination is often helpful.

5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

My flock got fowl pox . BYC had lots of good advice, which I used to provide supportive care.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I didn't bother to vaccinate when mine got it, just a little Neosporin or Betadine to prevent secondary infection, and let it run its course. That was nearly two years ago and now they are immune. It's a virus, you can't really do anything about it, and generally harmless. Lasts 3 weeks then is suddenly gone one morning.

I wonder, though, if they are just pecking marks. My fowl pox was not really raised lesions; most of them were just like someone had put dabs of flat very black paint on their combs and wattles, here and there.

7. tallyho

Aug 24, 2010
    Quote:Might be peck marks. I just went out to check them and looks like it's only one who has the spots. So maybe it's not The Pox afterall. I did put some betadine on her comb...and there is no wattle involvement (Wyandotte with good size wattles).

Thank you everyone! The response time is amazing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by