1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I am overrun by mosquitos every summer and I know thats where fowl pox comes from. I dont even want to go into my backyard at all during summer. Is there anything that can prevent fowl pox?

2. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:If you really want to prevent your chickens from getting fowl pox, you can vaccinate them.
    or find a way to cut down the mosquito population, for example making sure water sources aren't left out so they cant breed.

3. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Oh cool I didnt know there was a vaccination. I'll look into that [​IMG]

There is absolutely NO way I can remove breeding spots because there is like a little swamp not to far behind my house and my backyard has horrible drainage.

4. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
  5. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks a bunch! [​IMG] Since it's cold out there arent any mosquitos and my chicks just got transferred out to the coop so i'm sure none of them have it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  6. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I looked on the website and saw a vaccine just called Pox vaccine. Is that the right one or is the right one called Fowl Pox vaccine?

7. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:yup :]
    There is one for younger birds and one for older birds

8. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok I need the older one [​IMG] Thanks again!

Also, how do chickens get Marek's? I know my EE was vaccinated for it when I bought her but I dont know about my BR and my Polish/Silkie mix so just in case I want to know what I need to do to prevent it.

9. foxypoproxy

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:I don't know much about Mareks, i think its something that is pretty much everywhere and some chickens that are weaker then others can sometimes get it.
    The vaccine doesn't stop them from getting Mareks, but will only hide the painful/debilitating symptoms. Its an incurable disease that pretty much when they get it, you should put them down because they won't survive and will only suffer.

I don't Vaccinate for Mareks because i would rather be able to tell if my chickens have it, instead of not being able to tell because they may never show symptoms of it.
    For example if your chicken vaccinated gets it, but you can't tell because it doesn't show signs. Then you introduce it to another chicken that wasn't vaccinated and they get it but you are able to tell.
    You end up having to put down the 2nd chicken down, but may never know that the first one was the one that infected it in the first place.

Vaccinating for any disease is up to the flock owner, i'm just stating my opinion.

10. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Wow ok [​IMG] I'm new to chickens so i'll just trust your opinion and not bother finding out whether they were all vaccinated or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by