Fowl Pox?

It doesn't really look like it. Does it feel like it may be a scab? Almost looks like he go into something. Is it getting any worse?

Thank you so much for your response. I thought at first they were scabs as they are mostly on my cockerels combs, then I asked a vet about Fowl Pox and she said it would look more like cauliflower if it were pox.

They don't seem to be getting worse, but they are scattered on the waddles as well, so I feel like they probably aren't scabs from fighting. I am lucky enough to have a poultry vet coming by here next week and am hoping she can shed some light on this.

My rooster just came down with something that looks similar as well and when I picked at one spot just to examine him it started bleeding a tiny bit. I also crated him for the first time ever all night last night with a towel over it to keep him from crowing incessantly from 5:20 onward...wondering if he hurt himself in the cat crate. He looks awful, quite a bit worse than this, but the spots do look similar. I hope it's just an injury and not fowl pox!

It looks like it could be just some bruising, like he got in a fight with someone.

The spots are getting better, not worse, and I do have him separate from the other roosters now, so maybe just fighting. Vet comes tomorrow, woo hoo!

Could gnats biting a chicken cause this? I just went to the coop and noticed we have some flying around; perhaps they thought my rooster was a nice tasty treat in his crate for the night? I'm going to ensure the coop is dry right now and then sprinkle it down with Sevin to see if that helps the gnats go away. I do wonder if that's why he's so bad today! Easy target there on the floor of the coop, vs the girls who were all up on the roosts. WDYT?

WE've got gnats here in WI that note combs, suck blood and leave nasty scabs behind. If you catch a chicken and check the base of the comb where is meets the skull, you'll more than likely find three or four of the buggers in there. We've been spraying the most afflicted w/ adams flea and tick spray and it buys them a little time to be free of the nasty things!

Back
Top Bottom