1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. sweetappleacres

sweetappleacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    It started with my main roo exhibiting a cold (sneezing), and last night I noticed some lesions on his comb. Yesterday I also noticed one of my hens with swollen eyes and a small lesion/stye looking thing in one eye. And now another roo that I'd had separated for a few days now due to bad behavior has the warts on his comb and wattles too. They're all silkies so it's a little harder to tell on them but all signs are pointing to fowl pox. All three have now been separated but I don't know if the rest of my flock is in the clear. Can anyone help? Is there anything I can do do help them heal? Iodine? Vet rx? HELP PLEASE!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If anyone is exhibiting severe respiratory symptoms, look into their beaks and throats for any cheesy yellow patches that can block the airway. Posting a picture of the pox lesions might help. This is wet pox and can be severe. I would apply neosporin ointment to infected eyes. Iodine can be applied to skin lesions to help dry them. Here is s link for info and pictures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  3. sweetappleacres

Jul 10, 2013
    Thank you. I will apply the Neosporin and iodine. The hen with the swollen eyes was raising 5 1 week old chicks. I took them from her and placed them with the hen in the next nursery raising her 1 chick. There's no direct contact between them. They're separated by chicken wire. I hope no one else get it, especially the babies.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Luckily fowl pox is slow spreading, so hopefully the chicks won't get it. Keep us updated on how the sick ones are doing.

5. sweetappleacres

Jul 10, 2013
    Everyday that goes by I find another chicken succumb to FP. Some worse than others but idk if it's just the early stages. And now what I feared has happened.... The babies now have it too. I've got everyone on electrolytes and luckily everyone is eating well. I just want this over! They look a hot mess!

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Okay, I think you need to start treating with antibiotics. They won't treat the pox, but they will treat the secondary infections. Tylan Soluble Powder for the water would be good if you can get some. Are in you in the South or in a warm part of the country? The dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water.

7. sweetappleacres

Jul 10, 2013
    I'm in N Texas where it can range from 30-77 degrees in the winter, as it's been this week. I've got the worst ones in the barn still while the rest are in the coop.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Eating is the key to survival with pox. I also wonder if you don't have a respiratory disease hitting them at the same time, and that is why you are losing so many. If you get antibiotics it may help. If you can't get Tylan, you could use oxytetracycline, aureomycin, or Terramycin( erythromycin.) Most of these are available online from Jefferspet.com

9. sweetappleacres

Jul 10, 2013
    I haven't "lost" any, they're still very much alive. Some just ticked off I've got them on lockdown. Will tetracycline not work?

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry, when you said "succumbed" I thought you meant died. My mistake, but I'm glad they are still with us. Tetracycline (Duramycin10) is one of the meds most people on BYC recommend, and it is readily available, but some say it is not as effective as some of the other drugs. It is bitter, so if using it, you might want to flavor the water with some cranberry juice which is what one fellow recommends. I haven't ever used it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by