1. chickieshealing

chickieshealing Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Ao Nang, Krabi, Thailand
    Just checking...is this fowl pox? If so I'm supposed to get a Newcastle vaccine for them? Thanks![​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks a lot like fowl pox to me. There isn't much you can do to treat a bird with Fowl Pox-- it will go away on its own in a few weeks. However, to help the scabs/lesions go away you can dab idodine on them. Giving an antibiotic can also help prevent any secondary bacterial respiratory infections from developing.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like fowl pox to me, though if it is cold where you are, it might be frostbite. There isn't really a treatment; just give supportive care, and possibly treat with an antibiotic to prevent secondary infections.

7. chickieshealing

Oct 28, 2011
    Ao Nang, Krabi, Thailand
    I'm in Thailand...so we have hot weather with tons of mosquitos. The mosquito bites are bad here and a lot of people get reactions to them...but I did not know they bite chickens. I don't see any black, but it is almost like a blister that sheds and its bloody underneath. I now have another one with it.

Well, reading about the vaccine, it looks like they will get it a little and then become immune. I'm wondering if they are already getting it from the mosquitos if I need the vaccine? If they are already exposed, do they just get it one time and then its over like chicken pox?

Thanks for the tip on the antibiotic. I will definitely do that also.

8. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Hi, I am in Thailand too... in Chiang Mai.

Yes, your chicken has fowl pox.

Don't do anything.... they will recover fine.

Don't use the vaccine. Waste of money.. as there are so many strains of the fowl pox around and the vaccine will only work for one.

So long as your birds are acting normally there will be no cause for concern.

You don't need to separate that chicken. They can't catch it from each other.... only the mosquitoes. If this disease is now in your area, then its a good bet most of your birds will have been bitten and got the virus already.

All my birds recovered 100 percent over a few weeks. The ones that got the most spots and looked the worst got better the fastest. Weird.

I just watch out that there are no scabs or spots on the eyelids, that might make the eye sore. Never happened. But if you do get that you will need to bath the eye to keep it open and clean.

When the mosquitoes get very bad, I throw an old mosquito net over the coop to keep them out. Works great.. but my neighbours this I am a crazy 'farang'.

Good luck with you birds....

9. chickieshealing

Oct 28, 2011
    Ao Nang, Krabi, Thailand
    Awesome, Thank you! I think I might have lost a bird to the wet version cuz she closed her eyes and died a few days later. I'm having a problem with all the sand and moisture too. I'm on Kho Khao Island in Takuapa, Phung-Nga in the South. I imported my birds from the USA and lost 7 to different causes I think. Everyone seems okay now, but we have this fowl pox breakout to top off the past 2 weeks of other deaths. What do you know about vaccines in the area, for say parasites, or the Newcastle is supposed to be good for things other than Newcastle? I came from very dry New Mexico, so we are in a whole different ball game here. Thanks, Erika (P.S.) Let me know about chicken events in Thailand...I want to buy, and also eventually sell my Polish chickens once I get our health conditions all squared away.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    To answer one question I don't think was answered, yes, once they have had fowl pox, they are immune for life. For a straightforward case with no secondary infection, etc., it goes away rather suddenly in 3 weeks. My flock had it a few years ago and this is the way it worked here; fortunately, I didn't have a case of wet pox. I didn't isolate anyone, but then all or almost all of them had it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by