Fowl Pox!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 4HChickens, Feb 9, 2014.

1. 4HChickens

4HChickens New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    A member in my 4-H group has two Plymouth Rock bantams who got fowl pox. I have heard that they go away on their own within weeks, but hers have been around for months[​IMG]. Is there anything she can do to get rid of this nasty illness?

1 person likes this.
  2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    First you need to know if it is wet or dry fowl pox. Dry goes away quickly if you reduce the mosquito population (most common transmitters). Wet fowl pox requires treatment. Look in the mouth and eyes to determine what one it is. A picture might also help.

3. 4HChickens

4HChickens New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    Thank you so much for replying I really appreciate it :)! How can I determine the difference between wet and dry pox? I tried to look it up but they looked kind of the same...

4. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    Puss in the eye or open the mouth and if it looks like there is a growth in there it is wet. Most of the time the growth will be a yellowish color but it does vary. Once you know what one it is I can give you links to the best advice (best results) on treating it with pictures.

5. 4HChickens

4HChickens New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    I am pretty sure they are dry. I don't see anything in their eyes or mouth. They just have yellow and/or brown scabs on their combs and wattles. In the beginning they just started out at giant scabby lumps on the side of their head on their ears. Those are gone now. I have sprayed vetricyn on them but it doesn't seem to help. I even took them to the vet and they just told me they would be gone in a few weeks.

6. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    My advice to start:
    Put apple cider vinegar with "mother" in the water to prevent breeding of mosquitoes and improve their immune system. Neosporin without pain reliever can help on the scabbed over places. Check the bedding, sometimes pine shavings will harbor bugs, change completely if needed.

I know poster #7 and she has a large farm with really good husbandry and has the best results treating both forms. She listed what she did for wet but it will work great for both. Post #7 by Kuntrygirl:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...x-xxx-rated-graphic-pictures-of-pus-and-scabs

7. 4HChickens

4HChickens New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    Thanks so much for the advice! I really hope that the pox will clear up in time for the chickens to be shown at fair this summer!

8. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    If you follow her plan they most defiantly will! Good luck this summer, I bet they will be beautiful!

9. 4HChickens

4HChickens New Egg

Feb 9, 2014
    One more thing. Is it normal for chickens to stop laying when they have fowl pox? Her hen is only about a year and a half and we haven't seen a single egg for months even though she used to lay one every day.

10. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    It could partly be the stress from the fowl pox and partly from the reduced daylight hours and cold. Winter is normally their break time and depending on the breed there are few to no eggs laid. The most common eggs in the winter time are from production breeds and people who add extra light for their birds. If she is not acting funny and doesn't feel egg bound then there is nothing to worry about. I highly doubt egg bound because she would be much worse acting right now but if you want to check you just feel under the vent and see if you feel an egg inside her. As the days get longer she will start to lay again and may have a few small eggs like when she started laying, then she will be back to normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by