Fowl Pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by missmimz, Dec 5, 2014.

1. missmimz

missmimz Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2014
    Arizona
    Hi Everyone.

I recently purchased two 6 month old hens from a local organic farmer a little over a week ago. Today i noticed that one girl wasn't eating much and upon closer inspection I noticed some scabs on her comb and a bit of a swollen eye. She doesn't appear to have anything else that looks abnormal, other than she just doesn't look like her perky self. Do these look like Fowl Pox? Or something else?

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The black spots look like fowl pox, but could also be peck wounds. Is she coughing, sneezing, or have any rattles when she breathes? Does she have other spots, or do the others have any. Mosquitoes carry the pox virus, so are you seeing mosquitoes? Her eye is infected with what could possibly be mycoplasma (MG) or another bacterial infection secondary to fowl pox. Usually, fox pox infections around the eye include pox scabs near the eyelids or rim. I am not positive this is pox, so I would probably treat her with Tylan 50 injectable, given either as a shot for 3 days or orally for 5 days, or oxytetracycline, or Gallimycin in her water. Also, I would cleanse her eye and the crust with saline, and apply Terramycin or Neosporin ointment, or a product such as /vetericyn eye gel twice a day to the eye. If this is mycoplasma, she will be a carrier for life. Here is some reading:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...ction-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox
    http://www.hyline.com/aspx/redbook/redbook.aspx?s=5&p=35

3. missmimz

Dec 5, 2014
    Arizona
    Thank you for the suggestions. She isn't coughing and i don't notice any rattling or anything like that. I live in AZ and there were a lot of mosquitos this summer perhaps more than usual because of the monsoons, but i haven't noticed any recently.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Then it could be from pecking, and the eye could have been injured. I would treat with the saline and eye ointment or vetericyn for sure. Are there other spots on the other side of her comb, or on any other chickens, that you could show another picture of?

5. missmimz

Dec 5, 2014
    Arizona
    I just treated her eye with some vetericyn, i hope that'll help. She only has those marks on one side of her comb, actually the other side of her face looks perfectly fine. I have noticed my other dominate hen pecking at her so i suppose that could be it too. My other hen is perfectly fine no symptoms or marks at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by