Fowlpox? (pics included)

Bryce Thomas

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I was checking my naked necks for anything weird and one of them has these faint warts over her neck and 1 pimple

She has no scabs on her face, other than warts she shows no symptoms or dry or wet fowl pox types.

She also doesn't seem to be sick and her appetite is normal like all the other chickens
(I also listened to her breathing with a stethoscope and it was normal)
(its also worth mentioning she had the warts on her since I got her as a chick and even when she was a chick showed no signs of sickness)
PXL_20211128_014638141.jpg

PXL_20211128_014632600.jpg

I think it could be......
Fowl Pox - This highly contagious viral infection comes in two forms, dry and wet. Dry is the most common type and is a viral infection.

• How is it spread? – Dry form is typically spread by mosquitoes, mites and ticks or other insect bites. May also be transmitted through open wounds, scabs or feathers. The wet form is transmitted through drinking from the same water as infected birds.
  • Symptoms – In the dry form, birds will show small white pimple like bumps, turning into blisters on the comb and wattles. These will turn into large bumps, become hard and fall off creating scabs and eventually scars. Can have fever, loss of appetite, general unwell appearance. In the wet form, wet cheesy looking growths appear in the throat and a thin membrane forms in the mouth and larynx. The wet form is more likely to be fatal and the dry pox is not as serious. The survivors are not carriers.
  • Remedy – A vaccine is available in areas where the disease is common or an outbreak occurs. Insect control and mosquito management help to keep occurrence minimal. Controlling dry pox will help to reduce wet pox, which will spread through a flock rather quickly.

I think it could be......
Fowl Pox - This highly contagious viral infection comes in two forms, dry and wet. Dry is the most common type and is a viral infection.

• How is it spread? – Dry form is typically spread by mosquitoes, mites and ticks or other insect bites. May also be transmitted through open wounds, scabs or feathers. The wet form is transmitted through drinking from the same water as infected birds.
  • Symptoms – In the dry form, birds will show small white pimple like bumps, turning into blisters on the comb and wattles. These will turn into large bumps, become hard and fall off creating scabs and eventually scars. Can have fever, loss of appetite, general unwell appearance. In the wet form, wet cheesy looking growths appear in the throat and a thin membrane forms in the mouth and larynx. The wet form is more likely to be fatal and the dry pox is not as serious. The survivors are not carriers.
  • Remedy – A vaccine is available in areas where the disease is common or an outbreak occurs. Insect control and mosquito management help to keep occurrence minimal. Controlling dry pox will help to reduce wet pox, which will spread through a flock rather quickly.
Does fowl pox kill? Im afraid it does, I love my birds to death, I would hate to lose one. I know you cannot treat it but there is a vaccine for it. I clean the coop and run everyday and there are no ticks or biting bugs or mosquitoes of any kind or type. If it is, im thinking its the dry type

Back
Top Bottom