Fowlpox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wwdubose, Dec 18, 2013.

1. wwdubose

wwdubose Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    East Texas
    I noticed this round black scab on one of my buffs wattles and possibly some small spots on her comb. Is this dry fowlpox? If so, is there anything that needs to be done, or does it just run its course?

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be pox, but the picture looks a bit like pecking wounds, although the one on the wattle looks big. I may be wrong. The occasional dry pox I have seen is usually light brown with a darker center. Some will look bloody, then change to brown. Peck wounds tend to be jet black. Do you still have mosquitoes out? Here is a picture: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like pecking injuries to me. Fowl Pox usually causes browner scabs-- these look like dried blood.

4. wwdubose

Apr 2, 2013
    East Texas
    Thought it might be something that grew instead of from pecking because it is perfectly round. It is also slightly raised, tapered on the edges and smooth on top. I tried scraping it with my fingernail, but doesn't seem flaky like I expect dried blood to be.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since there are those smaller marks on the comb that look also like peck marks, I would just keep an eye on it.

6. wwdubose

Apr 2, 2013
    East Texas
    Will do! Thanks for the input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by