Fox ate my chooks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pgpoultry, Aug 8, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Well, the dreaded thing happened to me yesterday. My husband forgot to shut the hen houses at night and the fox got in there. All that was found of 6 of my lovely hens was feathers. 6 survived due, I believe, to my brave Dark Brahma boy who was found collapsed under the hedge full or rips and bite marks. He had to have several of the worst rips stitched and his life hung in the balance all day yesterday.

This morning the big boy has started to drink again (had to be syringed yesterday) and has eaten some poultry corn in the last hour (he is in the house where he is going to stay for a while).

Foxes can be such vicious predators when they have cubs.

Sandie

2. ccoomber

ccoomber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2009
    Redhill, UK
    Quote:bless him. What a brave boy! hope he continues to recover well! Sorry for your other losses [​IMG]

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Oh I am so sorry for your losses. But so happy that the brave little boy is doin' better!!

4. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Thank you,

My neighbour has a shotgun licence and chickens....he is looking out for us.

My daughter (without my knowledge) ordered me 3 turkens.....I think she thought that the fox would be frightened by them!

Sandie

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Sitting up with a shotgun may not be effective, the fox will know you are there and strike when you're gone. A trap will work 24/7 for you. I've caught two, first one with the remains of a previous incident and the other on a freshly opened can of soft cat food. If you catch one------do not be mislead by his demeanor and don't believe what he tells you:

[​IMG]

6. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    The fox trap looks good. A normally wildlife-loving vegetarian who takes in any wounded or disadvantaged creature, blind sheep, aggressive pygmy billy goat, endless wild birds that are injured.....I have an uncontrollable urge to 'get my own back' on this pretty but vicious little killer!

Sandie

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
  8. pgpoultry

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I'm looking into traps and snares now and going to get something to deal with him/her.

On a brighter note my Brahma boy (still indoors and lapping up the attention) is starting to eat and drink and his wounds are looking dry and clean. I heard a horrible whirring sound this morning which was his best attempt at crowing, so I think he is on the mend.

I am SO proud of him. Having roosters definitely has its positive side. I like their crowing too.

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by