Fox Attack Graphic photos~update 14 days healing pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by justplainbatty, Mar 13, 2015.

1. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Very Graphic!!![​IMG] Supervised free ranging NOT enough!!!!
    During supervised free ranging, fox came from nowhere and did this! Fox left hungry, birds herded back to run, counted, this girl found in fallen over trash can behind coop.

[​IMG] My question, skin is starting to dry around edges. Flushed with peroxide at once. Feathers removed and cut away from wound, flushed with betadine.
    Now what? Will wounds this large granulate? what should I do for skin that dies? Thinking of packing wound with triple antibiotic and wrapping over night.
    I have Alushield but I think it may be too early for that. There is one deep laceration at base of tail, one puncture wound. Remaining wounds expose flesh but flesh itself ok. Will also start on oral antibiotic. She is eating and drinking normally. Please advise!! TYIA for advice, the more detailed the better. No vet available. Too late for stitches I think.[​IMG]
    Locked and loaded now, fox in trouble. Looking for a new dog too!

[​IMG]Left side

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Looks healable, just try to keep probiotics up to her (kefir, unsweetened greek yoghurt, etc) while she's on antibiotics, and I'd suggest adding freshly minced or crushed raw garlic to her feed as well, since that can knock a lot of stuff on the head that the man-made antibiotics can't touch. One clove per day, or two if you prefer, won't hurt but can do a world of good. Better safe than sorry and in studies it boosts the efficacy of artificial antibiotics minus the gut flora damaging effects of course, plus it's a prebiotic so will help feed her probiotics, and it is high in sulfur which is directly involved in building tissue and healing.

I'd get her onto some good quality proteins while she rebuilds, hardboiled egg is great. Sounds like you've got things covered pretty much.

For a wound like that I'd use Stockholm tar myself, and no antibiotics except garlic, but some would use Veterycin (I think it is?) --- (haven't used that but some swear by it) --- and they'd also use artificial antibiotics. Personal choice and experience and all that, each to their own. Both can work.

I used Stockholm tar on a several day-old gangrenous foxbite on two chooks, they recovered without scarring despite being mutilated and opened to such an extent that the male was crowing out of a hole in his chest where his crop used to be and when he ate or drank the food and water trickled and fell out of the mess that used to be his throat. Both chooks lost their crops in that attack. Huge mess. Both recovered perfectly. Most livestock/produce stores sell Stockholm tar, I use the pure and undiluted stuff, it's a potent painkiller and disinfectant, will also repel anything attracted to the blood or wound.

Since it's a bite there may be deeper internal damage of course, but since she's eating and drinking normally it sounds very hopeful.

Good luck and best wishes. Hope she makes it.

3. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    TY! I read another article which stated that oral antibiotics are useless. I did not start oral antibiotics. The article suggested injectable penicillin which I don't have. Both the oral (oxytetracycline) I have and the penicillin, I am allergic to. [​IMG] Garlic I hate but can get. I did buy some fresh local clover honey, heard that can help if applied to wounds, having antibacterial properties. I use it for my allergies bc allergy medication makes me feel like I'm on speed and dries my sinuses too much. Will honey be enough or should I go for the garlic? I have some Gatorade to put in her water or I could make home made electrolytes. I have yogurt as well.

4. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Honey may be enough if it's high quality and was not heated too much, but personally I would go with garlic too, to be safe.

As far as making your own electrolytes goes, honey in water is a great source of electrolytes. Just a teaspoon of honey to a cup of water, free choice with fresh unhoneyed water as well, so she can sip as she chooses. Very nutritious, it has protein, natural antibiotics, vitamins, enzymes, minerals, probiotics, and more. I know Gatorade is a common suggestion but it has refined sugars in it which is direct food for infections, bacteria, cancers, opportunistic pathogens etc... So I avoid it.

Best wishes.

5. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Bump for update [​IMG]

6. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    pic heavy
    I just wanted to share her amazing healing with others who have hurt birds. that's my girl now named Foxy! ( I know I'm ill in the head for that but she was just one of four before this happened). She is doing great! Today is day 15, she has laid 13 eggs. a perfect record for a buff! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    lol, you're not ill in the head for doing that, I've named a few chooks and other animals after their health problems... >.>

Great to see how well she is doing, thanks for the updates!

They sure can be amazing when it comes to healing. But most animals are in my experience, as long as we give them a chance not just cull them arbitrarily.

Best wishes.

8. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    TY! She is doing great. She got her bath. She gets to go back to her flock this coming Friday.[​IMG]

9. Snazyazzy

Snazyazzy New Egg

Apr 10, 2015
    [​IMG] YAYAY!!!

10. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    TY! She is doing great! Needs some more feathers around there. She is wearing a saddle to protect everything, and laying nice eggs 6/7 days a week. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by