Fox attack

Cebarmlds

Free Ranging
13 Years
Oct 8, 2010
mn
During a fox attack yesterday morning, my nine year old Marans lost a lot of feathers on her neck and shoulders, her neck is very sore, I tried to get a baby aspirin in her mixed with blueberries but she wouldn’t take it. Although she did eat the berries. She is eating and drinking but I can tell she is sore. Don’t see any puncture wounds. I dissolved a B complex in water, just because, and she drank a decent amount. Any ideas?
Also she isn’t walking around much but she can, she is just sore.

She may be sore, for sure. She may also be stressed and in shock. Did you witness the attack? Was she picked up by the fox? Could also be some internal damage done. Pictures of the wounded area or a video of the way she is moving might be helpful too.

If she is eating, drinking, and pooping normally I wouldn't worry too much.

Isolate her in a dog crate and give her a day or so to recuperate. My favorite food for injured chickens is hand feeding formula for parrots. You can mix it as thin or thick as you want. Or you can use the electrolyte supplement you add to the drinking water for baby chicks. Often chickens simply need a day or so to recover. Metacam is a good drug for pain but it is prescribed by veterinarians. https://the-chicken-chick.com/how-to-care-for-injured-chicken-and/

I’m not ready to put her out of her misery because she doesn’t have puncture wounds, I think she would recover quickly if she was younger. She was in excellent health before this happened, but hasn’t laid in three years. I didn’t witness the attack but DH was home and saw the fox with the rooster in it’s mouth. He yelled and it dropped him and our dog chased it away. The stupid rooster is fine.
Electrolytes, b vitamin, is all I can think of...

I had her in the shop thinking I could care for her better there but she seems to prefer sitting in a nest box in the coop.

You could try isolating her in a dog crate as theoldchick suggested and just put that crate in the coop with them (if it fits). This way she could see and hear her flock and be comforted in that way, but still be safe from being jostled by them while she recovers.

You could try isolating her in a dog crate as theoldchick suggested and just put that crate in the coop with them (if it fits). This way she could see and hear her flock and be comforted in that way, but still be safe from being jostled by them while she recovers.
I might try that tomorrow. She seems a bit worse tonight, like her neck is stiffer, but I guess that's to be expected.

Back
Top Bottom