fox attack

countryway1422

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
lost 2 chickens to a fox. the thing didnt even kill for food it went after them for sport. if i didnt gett out there wen i did it would of been 3 but it dropped then 1 wen it seen me. then it started coming back behind the coop n the dog chased it back away...

Sorry for your loss
sad.png
Darn those predators...they are so bold too.Good for the dog!

It may not have been for sport. Foxes, I've heard, stock pile for later. So, they may kill 3 chickens and only eat one... they hide the other 2 and come back later. I've never had this happen, but my neighbor did a few years ago. 4 birds gone. No sign of 2, but he found the other 2 in the woods partially buried. He set a trap and caught a baby fox. He let him go.

Maybe that's not the case here, but that's what I've heard.

Sorry for your losses, in any event. We've been battling a fox (probably the off spring to the above!)- we had been free ranging and he killed 3 in one day. We've penned everyone in a brand new run- we've seen foxy pants pacing the run TWICE. We hope he gets the hint after the last attempt. DH managed to get him good with the hose, of all things. Dogs took after him into the woods.

i can electrify the pen there in cuz ive used it 4 pigs b4 but im afraid my daughter will run up n take the shock instead of the fox...ive thought bout trapping but i dont like taking anything out of season but if he doesnt leave my birds alone he doesnt leave me any choice...rite now the chickens dont even want 2 come out of the coop...

Quote:
I was wondering about this. I have a fox that has raised pups about 80 ft from my hen houses. So did she pick that place to have easy access to food later when she would be hunting for food for the pups? I can't believe they could be that smart.

Last edited:
If you use a trap you dont have to kill it, you can take it out in the woods far away from anyone and turn it loose if you dont want to kill it. Box traps are kinda hard to get a fox in though. If you think that you are going to kill it you should use steel foottraps and bait them with raw chicken livers and gizards.

Quote:
I was wondering about this. I have a fox that has raised pups about 80 ft from my hen houses. So did she pick that place to have easy access to food later when she would be hunting for food for the pups? I can't believe they could be that smart.

they are not that smart fox just take the food for their pups to their pups bobcat, will kina halfway bury something they have eaten on and come back and eat some more later if fox were that smart after I trap them they would take the trap off and leave

Back
Top Bottom