fox attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mamadukes5, Dec 2, 2011.

1. mamadukes5

mamadukes5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Easthampton, Mass
    When I came home from the store, my son was in the front yard without my grandson, so I knew something was up. He told me as soon as I got out of the truck that a fox had jumped the fence into my back yard and killed 3 of my laying hens, my two New Hamsphire reds and one of my youngest black hens. My son said he saw one of the blacks walking on top of the 6 foot fence so he went out to see what was going on, and saw something chasing one of the reds. He kicked it (not knowing what it was) and the animal picked up one of the hens that was already killed and ran across the road with her. So the fox had a nice meal of one of my best laying hens, and I was three chickens short. The fox didn't get any of the babies that were in the run, but the big birds free range and he got them. My rooster, wretched mean animal that he is, does not have a mark on him and my son said he didn't see the rooster the whole time he was out in the yard trying to scare off the fox. The rooster attacks me every other week or so, but apparently he didn't feel up to taking on the fox. The dogs were in the house, 'cause I don't leave them out when I'm gone and there was no one else out there to defend the girls. I got four more hens and one rooster who seems to be very docile from a guy up the road who had been asking if I wanted some of his to replace them and will have to integrate them over the next few weeks, but I feel awful about my girls. My husband is on the phone trying to find a trap for the fox, cuz if he comes back here again, he's done for. And my rooster is apparently not up to his job, so he's done for too. I've been keeping him even though he's mean because I thought he'd be good at defending the girls, but not so much. These are the first that I've lost and it's much harder than I imagined.

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    And to me what makes it worse is the one that is supposed to protect his girls, hid. I guess that shows the loudest mouth ain't hardly the badist dude.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Even the largest rooster is unlikely to prevail against a fox and the rooster likely knows it. My roosters will only flirt with fox when their chicks are at risk, otherwise the roosters power up into trees as soon as fox gets near and hens will do same.

4. T-Amy

T-Amy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Woodhull, NY
    That's awful! I'm so sorry. Nature at its worst.

A few weeks ago when I let my girls free-range for a couple of hours (with me nearby), something snatched one of my girls who was down near the woods-yard boundary. Ever since then I'm a nervous wreck to let them forage. I can't wait til dusk when they all go in & I count the right number.

They so enjoy going out & I so love watching them. It's just awful when something gets them- How many do you have & how long do you let them forage every day? I only let mine out a couple of times per week- my old heart can't take the stress!

5. mamadukes5

Jul 14, 2011
    Easthampton, Mass
    I had five girls and the roo who I let out for most of the day, every day. My yard is fenced all the way around, my dogs are usually outside with them and I haven't had any problems with daytime predators. I lock them in the house every night at dark, and hadn't lost any of them. I hatched two batches of chicks, the first time 7, then the next time 9, and they are all in the run all the time. I haven't started letting them free range yet. My problem is that the first batch of 7, four are boys, and the batch of 9, six are boys. So i have 10 cockerels and only 6 hens in the chicks I hatched. The boys aren't staying because who needs that many roosters, and I only got the original ones because I wanted the eggs. So now three out of my 5 egg layers are gone and my six baby girls won't be laying for another couple of months, at least. Aside from the crazy numbers of boys I've hatched, this is my first real problem since I got the chickens. The raccoons are in the yard every night scratching around, but they can't get in the house so I wasn't worried about that, but the fox will come in the daylight so I'm gonna have to deal with him pretty quick. And from now on the rest of them are going to have stay in the run until I deal with the fox, so they're not going to be happy. They've free ranged since they were babies and now I can't let them. I understand that the fox has to eat too, but I wish he'd gone somewhere else to do it.

6. Danny D

Danny D Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    Yea the foxes are pretty bad out here in louisiana too

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have at least two foxes working my property. One coming from southwest has a coat in excellent condition and hunts voles almost amoung my rooster pens out in pasture. Another coming up valley from east has mangy looking coat and does go after chickens with gusto. Latter came a few times during day catching a bird or two on first visits. My dog got on to him on most recent daylight incursions the chickens give alarm an fly into trees or onto house. Dog responds to chicken alarms and runs fox off. Dog now penned up in house at night and fox comes then. Fox caught four birds penned for sale but other birds are out of reach now except for those roosting on front porch. Dog somehow knows when fox is in front and goes crazy to get out. Overall, my losses to foxes very light.

8. Keara

Keara Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Vermont
    We shot a fox here the day before thanksgiving. He had just killed the rooster, who did as he was suposed to and put himself in the way of the fox. I was very sad to lose him.

9. mamadukes5

Jul 14, 2011
    Easthampton, Mass
    well, my birds are all staying in the run today in case Mr. Fox comes back, and they are not happy but, they are safe. If I still had my German Shepherd, I'd send him out there after the thing, but my two dogs I have right now are both female and neither one of them has much of a prey drive. They're both pit mixes and will injure you with licking and friendliness, but they don't scare anything. I'm keeping an eye out for the fox, and my husband has a trap out there, so maybe we'll get him.

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by