1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fox attack

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chicken111000, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Chicken111000

Chicken111000 New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    We have owned chcikens for about 7 months now and unfortunately on Saturday a fox got in attacked my chickens. One had received a broken leg, and it was to sever so the vet had to put it down. And my chicken got really hurt and it's wound goes all the way to the bone on his back.
    The two remaining chickens are not coming out of their coop, I suspect they are in shock and would be much appreciated if you could tell me how to get them out of shock.
    Oh and we have been putting cream and antibacterial spray on its wound(given by the vet)
    How long does it take for a wound to close up
    Thanks

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the fox attack and the chickens you lost, hope your other chickens recover. You might try posting on the Emergencies forum about the hurt bird and what you can expect from his wound... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures It will take the surviving birds a while to get over their fright, maybe a couple of weeks, you might offer them treats or things they like to eat etc at the coop door and gradually move it farther away so they get braver again..

3. JDchicks

JDchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Southeast Alabama
    [​IMG]
    Glad to have you join. So sorry for your loss and the troubles. Unfortunately, I do not know how to help in this case. Hopefully, some more BYCers can offer some. I hope everything gets better.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

I am so sorry about your babies. Those predators are brutal. As for the wounds, they can take a while to really close. Just make sure to keep the open ones dry and clean. If you have to cage the ones with open wounds, and on clean bedding, do it to keep the flesh from becoming infected.

Good luck with your babies and enjoy BYC!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  5. Chicken111000

Chicken111000 New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    Thanks

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Your chickens will not feel secure until the predator has been removed. Depending upon the size of the wound, healing may take up to several months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by