1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Fox bait.....What works best?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by HallFamilyFarm, Nov 15, 2011.

1. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    The Arkansas Game & Fish have loaned us a fox trap, the only live trap in southeast Arkansas. Nothing works we have tried. We have added a "red eye" and have had no more attacks. What will work best to attrack and catch this sly ole fox?

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Good morning. The first bait thast comes to mind is chicken. I'm not trying to be a smart aleck. I assume that you are trying to trap a fox that already has interest in your chickens. So, what could be better?

3. HallFamilyFarm

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    The trap has a live bait cage. Did not work. A store bought chicken leg/thigh also did not work. cat food, dogfood tuna...nothing so far.

4. HallFamilyFarm

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Trap has bamboo around 3 sides. Will try camo burlap next.

5. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Jim try some fried chicken believe it or not sometimes it works. The absolute best bait I know of is lead shot [​IMG]

6. ODEY587

ODEY587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2011
    Also you will need suspicion remover or the fox wont come near the trap your sent will stay for several weeks

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    There is also the possibility that the fox has left the area--this time of year young animals are moving around establishing new territories. Have you seen it lately?

8. HallFamilyFarm

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    This fox has not returned in a few months, but with winter coming.....

Then he did not mind our scent being in our grow out pasture. When we heard the dogs barking we stepped outside with the gun. He heard us and split. The guardian dogs could not access that paddock.

Good news is, a few weeks ago we passed a fellow laying on the side of the road DEAD! It was a mile or so away. may have been a relative. In any case, one less fox!

The Game & Fish gave us a deprivation permit, but prefer we relocate the fox to a WMA. My thought is shoot the fox and allow the dogs to enjoy a snack!

9. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I work with a guy that has numerous predators about and around. He uses RAB his pet store rat as bait in his trap. RAB stands for Rat As Bait. He says when RAB goes to work, RAB is 95% successful that night.
    He says the only disadvatage is RAB goes on vacation in the winter.

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:if a fox is coming up to your houses coop /run he is already not afraid of human oder

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by